Michael: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Michael
Origin of the name Michael:
Derived from the Hebrew mīkhā’ē‘l (Who is like God?). The name is borne in the Bible by one of the seven archangels. He is the one closest to God and is responsible for carrying out God's judgments. Var: Michaell, Michail.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Michael? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Michael
- Comments and insights on the name Michael: | Edit
Michael is an extremely common, extremely handsome, masculine, classic, biblical name for a baby boy. Pronounced My-kull.
- Personal experiences with the name Michael: | Edit
A really good friend of mine's name is Michael. I have known him for so many years. He was my second boyfriend, and if he hadn't caught my eye, it is highly unlikely that I would have met all of my current friends today, who I spend every day of my life -- both waking, and sleeping -- with!! I also wouldn't have met my current boyfriend, who is the father of my brand new daughter. (He's also my friend Michael's brother.) I LOVE Michael, he's awesome!!!!! And his name is wonderful. :) I've only ever met two other Michaels. This is a great name. I love it!!!!!! :D
My oldest son was named Michael, at a time when the name was not very popular (late 1980s), so it was funny to learn that he was pretty much the only Michael in school growing up, even though overall in the U.S. it is a very popular name. Michael always sounded like a "strong" name to me, and every Mike I could think of while growing up was just an all-around good guy, so the name had a positive connotaion for me. I loved the combination "Michael Bryant", so this is what I named him, and I learned years later that his friends thought his name was really neat. After seeing my son grow up over the years, this name brings to my mind a thoughtful, good-looking, intelligent person who is very mature for their age, and always has a nice circle of steady friends.
Growing up, I've known TONS of guys named Michael. I personally love the name, it is just one of those strong, sexy, cool boy names. Every Michael I've known have been great, attractive, friendly, and just overall nice guys. the same goes for Mike ;)
My best friend is named Michael and he is one of the most amazing guys that I know! He is very attractive and tall, plays basket ball and is pretty much the nicest guy ever! He was very shy around girls as a kid, still is to a point, but is very open and loving towards me. He also just understand and knows how I feel without me saying a word. He's also the first guy to call me "Cute", he's a special guy.
- Nicknames for Michael: | Edit
Mike, Mikey, Mick, Micky, Mickey.
- Meanings and history of the name Michael: | Edit
Meanings of the name "Michael".
Who is like God? Gift from God. Fact: In the Bible, St. Michael was the conqueror of Satan and patron saint of soldiers.
- Famous real-life people named Michael: | Edit
Michael Jordan, American basketball player
Michael Emerson, American actor
Michael C. Hall, American actor
Michael Phelps, American Olympic-winning swimmer
Michael J. Fox, Canadian-American actor
Michael Vick, American football player
Michael J. Nelson, American comedian
Michael Landon, American actor
Michael Ryan Pritchard "Mike Dirnt" Bass player for Green Day
Michael Ealy, American actor
Michael Douglas, American actor
Michael Fassbender, German actor
Michael "Mikey" Way Bass player for the Jersey based band My Chemical Romance, Brother of Gerard Way
Michael Gambon, Irish actor
Michael Kors, American fashion designer
Michael Jackson -- American singer-songwriter, dancer, philanthropist, and businessman.
Michael Massee -- American actor. ("The Crow", "The Amazing Spider-Man", "24")
Michael Clifford -- Lead Guitarist in Australian band 5 Seconds Of Summer
- Michael in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Michael Row the Boat Ashore"
John Travolta angel movie "Michael"
Picture book "Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel"
'Mikey Likes It!' Famous Life Cereal commercial from the 1970s
Michael Dawson, character in the TV series, "Lost"
Archangel in the Bible
"Be like Mike" ad campaign about Michael Jordan.
Mike Tee Vee from Willy Wonka's golden ticket contest.
Michael Darling, youngest of the Darling children in Peter Pan
Michael Scott, character in the TV series "The Office"
Michael Corner, Ravenclaw student in the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
Mike & The Mechanics, 80s/90s band
Michael (Jason Patric) in 1987's "The Lost Boys"
Michael Corleone, charcter in the godfather.
Character in Dr. Suess' "One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish". Quote "We have a bike. It is made for three. Our Mike sits up in back you see. We like our Mike, and this is why: Mike does all the work when the hills get high."
Michael Staccato Vincent Hodgins-Angela and Hodgins' son on "Bones"
Childs show called Mike the Knight.
Michael the archangel in the show Supernatural
Name Lists Featuring Michael
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand
- Austrian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Austria
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
- English and Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England and Wales
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec)
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales), 2010
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand, 2010
- Austrian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Austria, 2010
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland, 2011
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec), 2010