Miguel Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Miguel:
Spanish cognate of Michael, a Hebrew name derived from mīkhā’ē‘l (Who is like God?). The name is borne in the Bible by one of the seven archangels. He is the one closest to God and is responsible for carrying out God's judgments. Considered the leader of the heavenly host, Michael is regarded as the patron of soldiers.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Miguel? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Miguel
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain, 2010
- Portuguese Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Portugal
- Chilean Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Chile 2010
- Portuguese Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Portugal 2012
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain 2012
Contribute your knowledge to the name Miguel
- Comments and insights on the name Miguel: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Personal experiences with the name Miguel: | Edit
Miguel Angel is a common combination and is frequently used as a double name.
- Nicknames for Miguel: | Edit
Miguelin Miguelito Mike Miggley Miggs Michael Miggy
- Meanings and history of the name Miguel: | Edit
Used by both the Spanish and Portuguese
- Famous real-life people named Miguel: | Edit
The priest Miguel Hidalgo led the fight for independence in Mexico.
Miguel Gallardo, singer, songwriter and music producer.
- Miguel in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Maya and Miguel" is a PBS kids' show.
St. Michael the Archangel, whose feast day is September 29th.
Miguel, Dreamworks' animated feature film "The Road to El Dorado," voiced by Kenneth's Brannagh
I LOVE YOU MIGUEL EVEN THO YOU DONT TALK TO ME OR KNOW ME! STILL LOVE YOU BRO