Milan: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Milan
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Milan? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Milan
- Belgian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Belgium (Flanders)
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec)
- Dutch Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in The Netherlands
- Hungarian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Hungary
- Belgian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Belgium (Flanders), 2010
- Dutch Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Netherlands, 2010
Contribute your knowledge to the name Milan
- Comments and insights on the name Milan: | Edit
Malin and Milan are anagrams of each other; they contain the same letters.
(Serbian Cyrillic: Милан) is a common Slavic male name derived from the Slavic element 'mil', meaning gracious. Milan was originally a diminutive or nickname for those whose names began with 'Mil-'. It is used in Czech republic, Serbia, Macedonia, Croatia, Slovenia, and Bulgaria. It was in the top 20 names for boys born in Slovakia in 2004. It was the eighth most popular name for boys born in the Netherlands in 2007. It is used in Belgium and some areas of India also.
Female form of the name Milan: Milania, Milana, Mila;
Last names derived from the name Milan: Milanović, Milanov(a), Milanovski, Milanovici,
- Personal experiences with the name Milan: | Edit
Most English speakers would read Milan as Maylan. For Example fictional book caracter Milan Jacovich(Gakoveech) , by Les Roberts, pronounces his characters name as Maylan;
Town of Milan in Ohio, USA, people pronounce as Maylan.
Met a kid named Milan at baseball this season and he pronounces it My-lan, like Myron but with an L. I was informed that that is how you pronounce the city Milan, Tennessee.
- Nicknames for Milan: | Edit
Mićo (Mee-choh), Miki (Mickey), Milanče (Meelanche), Mikac (Meekatz); Mel
- Meanings and history of the name Milan: | Edit
4. A Union or Meeting
- Famous real-life people named Milan: | Edit
Notable persons named Milan include:
* Milan I of Serbia, King of Serbia (1882-1889)
* Milan Baroš, Czech football player
* Milan Begović, Croatian writer
* Milan Hejduk, Czech ice hockey player
* Milan Hodža, prime minister of Czechoslovakia
* Milan Jovanović, Serbian football(soccer) player.
* Milan Kangrga, Croatian philosopher
* Milan Komar, Slovene philosopher
* Milan Kučan, President of Slovenia
* Milan Kundera, Czech writer
* Milan Lučić, Canadian hockey player
* Milan Michálek, Czech ice hockey player
* Milan Mladenović, Serbian musician
* Milan Obrenović II, Prince of Serbia
* Milan Rešetar, Croatian linguist and historian
* Milan Rastislav Štefánik, Slovak politician and astronomer
* Milan Šufflay, Croatian historian and politician
* Milan Uzelac, Serbian poet and essayist
* Milan Vidmar, Slovene engineer, chess player, and philosopher
* Milan Piqué i Mebarak, son of singer Shakira and footballer Gerard Pique
- Milan in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Milan Jacovich Mysteries" book serial by Les Roberts
Famous Serbian Traditional Folk Songs "Moj Milane" and "Svilen Konac"