Montgomery: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Montgomery
Origin of the name Montgomery:
Transferred use of the surname originating from a Norman baronial name derived from a place-name in Calvados, Normandy. The name, de Monte Goumeril, is composed of the Old French elements mont (hill) and the personal name Goumeril, a derivative of the Germanic Gomeric (man power). Short: Monty.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Montgomery? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Montgomery
- Comments and insights on the name Montgomery: | Edit
Actor Montgomery Clift aka Monty.
- Personal experiences with the name Montgomery: | Edit
Montgomery Ward was a department store that everyone called "Monkey Wards."
- Nicknames for Montgomery: | Edit
Monty, Monte, Emery, Gomer
- Meanings and history of the name Montgomery: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Montgomery: | Edit
(Edward) Montgomery Clift, American actor
- Montgomery in song, story & screen: | Edit
'Montgomery Burns' from the Simpsons cartoon
Montgomery Scott (Mr. Scott) from Star Trek