Morrison Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Morris:
Variant of Maurice, a borrowing from the French which is derived from the Late Latin Mauritius (Moorish), a derivative of Maurus (a Moor). The Moors were a Muslim people of mixed Arab and Berber descent; thus the name came to mean "dark" or "swarthy" in reference to their coloring. Maurice was introduced to Britain by the Normans and underwent several variant spellings before returning to the original form.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Morrison? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Morrison
Contribute your knowledge to the name Morrison
- Comments and insights on the name Morrison: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Personal experiences with the name Morrison: | Edit
Family surname,used as a first name
- Nicknames for Morrison: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Morrison: | Edit
Scottish patronymic surname: "son of Morris"
- Famous real-life people named Morrison: | Edit
Jim Morrison - from The Doors
- Morrison in song, story & screen: | Edit
Jim Morrison's songs