Moses: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Moses
Origin of the name Moses:
From the Hebrew mōsheh (drawn out, drawn out of the water) and the Egyptian mes, mesu (son, child).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Moses? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Moses
- Comments and insights on the name Moses: | Edit
One person says: Possibly controversial to name your son Moses since he is such an important figure in Judaism.
Another person says: It's a name that is old and strong. It's rare and has a melodic sound to it. Lots of potential positive nick-names. Also some possible negative nick-names.
- Personal experiences with the name Moses: | Edit
There was a councelor at my summer camp named Moses.
- Nicknames for Moses: | Edit
Mo, Mose, Moss, Moesy, Mojo, Momo, Mozilla, Zissou
- Meanings and history of the name Moses: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Moses: | Edit
• Moses de Leon (Spanish rabbi and alleged composer of the Zohar)
• Moses Ezekiel (American soldier and sculptor)
• Moses "Moe Howard" Horwitz (American comedian, Three Stooges)
• Moses Maimonides (Spanish rabbi and philosopher)
• Moses Malone (American basketball player)
• Moses Martin (Son of Coldplay singer/songwriter Chris Martin and actress Gwyneth Paltrow)
- Moses in song, story & screen: | Edit
Moses, biblical figure reputed to be the author of the Pentateuch and protagonist of Exodus.
"Moses", song by British band Coldplay.
"Moses Supposes" song in the musical "Singin' in the Rain."
Moses, animated character in the film "The Prince of Egypt."