Oscar: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Oscar | Boys
Origin of the name Oscar:
derived from a Norman baronial name taken from a French place-name meaning "golden city." Others think it is merely an invention of the novelist Fanny Burney, who used it for the hero in her novel Evelina (1778).
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Oscar? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Oscar
- Comments and insights on the name Oscar: | Edit
Oscar is O in the NATO phonetic alphabet
- Personal experiences with the name Oscar: | Edit
my boyfriend's name is Oscar.. he's amazing, i think this is an awesome kind of like vintage name!
- Nicknames for Oscar: | Edit
Ozzy, Ossie, Oz, Scar (if he grows up to be a gangster), Bozzy
- Meanings and history of the name Oscar: | Edit
Oscar (Irish) possibly from the Gaelic phrase "os cara", meaning "friend of the deer". James Macpherson used the name in his Ossianic poems. Napoleon, an admirer of those works, imposed it on his little French godson, who ascended the throne of Sweden as Oscar I (or Oskar I).
The 'Os' part could well be from the Old English word for god (Old Norse equivalent 'As'). Not the Christian god, but one of the pagan gods.
Also a Old Norse name meaning God's spear. Anglicized from Ásgeirr
- Famous real-life people named Oscar: | Edit
Oscar Villarreal, American baseball player
Oscar Wilde, Irish writer
Oscar De La Hoya, American boxer
Oscar Pistorious, South African runner
Oscar de la Renta, Dominican designer based in New York City
Oscar Hammerstein, American theatrical producer
- Oscar in song, story & screen: | Edit
Oscar the Grouch from the children's television program Sesame Street
Oscar Martinez, character from "The Office" (TV series)
Oscar Madison, character from "The Odd Couple" (TV series)
Oscar is the nickname for the Academy Award, the most prestigious film award in America, presented yearly by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
Oscar Mayer is an American food company started by Oscar Ferdinand Mayer in the 1880s. Today they are a popular producer of hot dogs, bologna, and other deli meats. Their most famous slogan, written in 1963, begins, "Oh, I wish I were an Oscar Mayer weiner..."
Name Lists Featuring Oscar
- Danish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Denmark
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand
- Belgian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Belgium
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland
- Spanish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Spain
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland
Global Popularity of the Name Oscar
- #2 in Sweden
- #20 in Denmark
- #28 in Australia (Victoria)
- #36 in Australia (New South Wales)
- #39 in England
- #42 in Spain
- #57 in Norway
- #63 in Germany
- #92 in Ireland
- #93 in Scotland
- #119 in United States
- #126 in Canada (British Columbia)
- #281 in Canada (Quebec)
- #324 in Canada (Alberta)