Patrick: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Patrick
Origin of the name Patrick:
Derived from the Latin patricius (a patrician, a nobleman). The name was made famous by St. Patrick (c. 385 - 461), a Christian Breton and Roman citizen who was a missionary to and patron saint of Ireland.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Patrick? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Patrick
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales), 2010
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand, 2010
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland, 2010
Contribute your knowledge to the name Patrick
- Comments and insights on the name Patrick: | Edit
Patrick is a not-too-common, handsome, masculine name for a baby boy. Pronounced Pat-rik.
- Personal experiences with the name Patrick: | Edit
A good pal of mine's name is Patrick. He's a really great guy. I have known him for a few years now, and very rarely will people call him "Pat" instead of just "Patrick", but we do sometimes. He's a really friendly, really devoted guy. I love him. And his name, too. :)
My partner's name is Patrick, he comes from an Irish family, and I think it's a nice name. It's unusual but still a "proper" name so it can be quite distinctive but is recognisable and most people can spell it. It's hansom on an adult and has some cute nicknames for children.
- Nicknames for Patrick: | Edit
Pat, Patty, Paddy, Rick, Trick, Patch, Padds
- Meanings and history of the name Patrick: | Edit
Meanings of the name "Patrick".
Patrician; noble. Fact: Romans society was divided into plebeians: (commoners) and patricians: (aristocrats). Saint Patrick -- patron saint of Ireland.
Regal; noble. Fact: St. Patrick introduced Christianity to Ireland, and later became Ireland's patron saint.
- Famous real-life people named Patrick: | Edit
Patrick "Pat" Monahan -- American singer-songwriter, musician, and actor. Also the lead vocalist of the band Train.
Saint Patrick of Ireland
Patrick Dempsey, American actor
Patrick Swayze, American actor
Patrick Kielty, Irish comedian
Patrick Wilson, American actor
Patrick Quirk (@patrickquirky)- Canadian internet personality
Neil Patrick Harris, American actor
Patrick Stump, american singer-songwriter, musician, lead singer of the band Fall Out Boy.
- Patrick in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Patrick Star" -- Character on the American animated television series "SpongeBob SquarePants". He is voiced by actor Bill Fagerbakke.
Patrick O'Brian -- Secret identity of Plastic Man in DC comics
Patrick Jane -- (portrayed by Simon Baker) is the protagonist on T.V. series "The Mentalist."