Peter Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Peter:
From the Ecclesiastic Late Latin Petrus and the Greek Petros, names derived from petra (a rock) and petros (a stone). The name is borne in the Bible by one of the Twelve Apostles of Christ. Peter is considered to have been the first pope and cofounder of the Christian Church with Paul.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Peter? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Peter
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland 2014
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland 2014
- Hungarian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Hungary
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland, 2010
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland for 2012
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland for 2012
- Hungarian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Hungary 2010
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
- Bulgarian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Bulgaria
- Belgian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Belgium (Flanders)
Contribute your knowledge to the name Peter
- Comments and insights on the name Peter: | Edit
popular, daring and dashing
- Personal experiences with the name Peter: | Edit
Peter is my brothers older name and we all just love it! its a nice common name but not for his age (hes 20) but its always good to have a good old name around.
The name just has bad connotations due the the phrase 'A Peeking Peter'. 'Pyter' from a Game of Thrones who is a weirdo doesn't help either.
- Nicknames for Peter: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Peter: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Peter: | Edit
Saint Peter, the first Pope
Peter Yarrow from Peter, Paul & Mary
Peter Ustinov, actor
Peter the Great, Russian czar
Peter Fonda, actor
Peter Cetera, singer
Peter Paul Rubens, Flemish baroque painter
Peter O'Toole, Anglo-Irish actor ("Lawrence of Arabia")
Peter Doherty, Nobel laureate
Peter Jackson, filmmaker
Peter "Pete" Wentz, member of the alternative band Fall Out Boy. Great band
- Peter in song, story & screen: | Edit
Peter Hale - From MTV's Teen Wolf (Played by Ian Bohen.)
Peter, of Peter and the Wolf, Russian tale set to music by Sergei Prokofiev.
Peter Pan, fictional character created by Scottish novelist and playwright J. M. Barrie.
Peter Rabbit, character in Beatrix Potter's children's books.
Peter Piper, from the well-known tongue twister Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.
Peter, Peter Pumpkin Eater, children's nursery rhyme.
Peter Pevensie, eldest in the Pevensie family in Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia
Peter Parker, Spider-Man's alter ego.
Peter Pettigrew, in J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter books, a follower of Voldemort who was disguised as a rat until the third book.
Peter Griffin, father in Family Guy TV series.
Peter Petrelli, character in Heroes TV series who has the ability to absorb other people's superpowers.
Peter Newkirk, character in 1960s American television show Hogan's Heroes
Peter Beale, character in UK soap "Eastenders"
Peter Hastings TV series Pretty Little Liars
Peter Brady, a main character in the hit 1960's sitcom "The Brady Bunch".
Peter Wright from Chronicles of Avonlea by L.M. Montgomery
Peter Ingalls from The Little House series