Phoenix Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Phoenix:
Derived from the Greek phoinix (phoenix, bright red). Var: Phenix.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Phoenix? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Phoenix
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales), 2010
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand, 2010
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand for 2012
Contribute your knowledge to the name Phoenix
- Comments and insights on the name Phoenix: | Edit
Phoenix is a very masculine name for a little boy and a great name for an adult.
- Personal experiences with the name Phoenix: | Edit
I love the name Phoenix and was happy when a friend gave the name to her boy. The only glitch was that when I took him around town and people asked me his name they nearly all misheard and thought I said 'Felix'.
My oldest is 10 now and the name Phoenix really suits him. A few people have made reference to River Phoenix but we liked the mythology behind this name. We also have also had people think his name is Felix.
- Nicknames for Phoenix: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Phoenix: | Edit
A phoenix is a mythical bird that is a fire spirit with a colorful plumage and a tail of gold and scarlet (or purple, blue, and green according to some legends). It has a 500 to 1,000 year life-cycle, near the end of which it builds itself a nest of twigs that then ignites; both nest and bird burn fiercely and are reduced to ashes, from which a new, young phoenix or phoenix egg arises, reborn anew to live again. The new phoenix is destined to live as long as its old self. In some stories, the new phoenix embalms the ashes of its old self in an egg made of myrrh and deposits it in the Egyptian city of Heliopolis (Greek for sun-city). It is said that the bird's cry is that of a beautiful song. In very few stories they are able to change into humans.
- Famous real-life people named Phoenix: | Edit
Joaquin Phoenix - American actor
River Phoenix - American actor
- Phoenix in song, story & screen: | Edit
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - book by J. K. Rowling
Phoenix Wright, title character from the video game series "Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney". Phoenix is a defense attorney who fights for justice.
Days of Our Lives (soap opera)- Stefano and tony always die and "rise from the ashes of the Phoenix" (a frequent saying in the show) the family ring also has a Phoenix on it
Twilight- In the first book/movie Bella moves from Phoenix, Arizona to Forks, Washington.
"The Phoenix", song by Fall Out Boy