Piper Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Piper:
Transferred use of the surname of English and Scandinavian origin which is derived from the Old English pípere (piper, one who plays the pipe) and the Old Norse pípari (piper, one who plays the pipe).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Piper? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Piper
Contribute your knowledge to the name Piper
- Comments and insights on the name Piper: | Edit
Piper is a rare example of an occupational surname that had almost no history as a boy's name before becoming popular for girls.
- Personal experiences with the name Piper: | Edit
My husband and I named our son Piper Lance in 2006 and we've gotten several positive remarks on it.
- Nicknames for Piper: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Piper: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Piper: | Edit
A supernatural TV series character "piper halliwell" from "charmed". Real name holly Marie combs.
- Piper in song, story & screen: | Edit
The Sandpiper, story