Reeve Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Reeve? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Reeve
Contribute your knowledge to the name Reeve
- Comments and insights on the name Reeve: | Edit
variations include: Reave, Reaves, Reeves
- Personal experiences with the name Reeve: | Edit
We are considering naming our second son Reeve Morris _____. I think it is masculine, familiar, but still unique.
- Nicknames for Reeve: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Meanings and history of the name Reeve: | Edit
English occupational name meaning "bailiff." In later medieval England, a reeve was an official elected annually by the serfs to supervise lands for a lord. The reeve himself was a serf. He had many duties such as making sure the serfs started work on time and ensuring that no one was cheating the lord out of money. "shire reeves" assisted in the detection and prevention of crimes (later became known as sheriffs).
Cool and dignified, an excellent combination and a name being seen as a more masculine alternative to Reese.
- Famous real-life people named Reeve: | Edit
Reeve Carney, American actor and musician
* Arthur B. Reeve (1880–1936), American author
* Arthur W.V. Reeve, Scouting New Zealand notable, awardee of the Bronze Wolf in 1979
* Christopher Reeve (1952–2004), actor, director, producer and writer
* Clara Reeve (1729–1807), English novelist
* Dana Reeve (1961–2006), actress, singer and activist
* Dermot Reeve (born 1963), former English cricketer
* Henry Reeve (1813–1895), English journalist
* James H. Reeve (born 1954), UK broadcaster, journalist, raconteur and radio phone-in host
* John Reeve (1608- 1658), English prophet and author
* Lovell Augustus Reeve (1814-1865), malacologist
* Philip Reeve (born 1966), British author and illustrator
* Simon Reeve (UK television presenter) (born 1972), British author and TV presenter
* Simon Reeve (Australian television presenter) (born 1955), Australian television presenter and host
* Sue Reeve (born 1951), English long jumper
- Reeve in song, story & screen: | Edit
Reeve Shields, character in Caroline B. Cooney's The Face on the Milk Carton quartet.
"The Reeve's Tale", third story told in Geoffrey Chaucer's The Canterbury Tales.