Rhys: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Rhys
Origin of the name Reese:
Anglicized form of the Welsh Rhys (ardor). It also represents the transferred use of the surname derived from the personal name.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Rhys? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Rhys
- Comments and insights on the name Rhys: | Edit
While Reese has been appropriated by many girls, the spelling Rhys remains firmly masculine. Rhys might be an excellent choice for parents who want to name a boy Reese but don't want him mistaken for a girl.
- Personal experiences with the name Rhys: | Edit
I know two Rhys' in Wales. It's a very popular name in Wales.
- Nicknames for Rhys: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Rhys: | Edit
Means enthusiasm in Welsh.
- Famous real-life people named Rhys: | Edit
Rhys Ifans, Welsh actor.
Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Irish actor.
Rhys Coiro, American actor.
Griff Rhys Jones, Welsh actor, writter and comedian.
Rhys Darby, New Zealand comedian who plays the band manager in the HBO series Flight of the Conchords
John Rhys-Davies, British Actor (played Gimli in the Lord of the Rings trilogy)
Rhys Edward McIntyre, son of Joey McIntyre (boy band NKOTB)
- Rhys in song, story & screen: | Edit
Occurs in some incarnations of the Arthur mythology
"Rhys Williams," character on the BBC tv program "Torchwood"
Name Lists Featuring Rhys
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland, 2011