Riley: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Riley
Origin of the name Riley:
Transferred use of the surname derived from the Old English elements ryge (rye) and lēah (wood, clearing, meadow). The name was indicative of one who dwelled near a rye field.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Riley? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Riley
- Comments and insights on the name Riley: | Edit
Riley is a simple, classic, fairly common, handsome, masculine name for a baby boy. Pronounced Rie-lee.
- Personal experiences with the name Riley: | Edit
My good friend's name is Riley. I knew one girl once with this name, and while she was kind and it suited her okay, I still see this name as a male name, definitely. My friend is SUCH a sweet guy. I love him, he's a great friend. I've known him for years and while he's not aggressive about it, I know he hates it when people say that "Riley" is a girls' name. ...Because it's not. It shouldn't be. I looooove my friend Riley. His name suits him very well. :) :)
My 4 year old is Riley Christopher. I like unisex names but I hate this name for a girl. It took us so long to come up with a name for our little guy. But as soon as I saw him I knew that he was a Riley. He is a very happy child and we call him Smiley Riley.If you want to name your son Riley, do it. It's NOT a girls name. It's such a sweet name for a boy.
I found this name in a couple of novels i had read years ago & wrote it down for
The only Riley I know was born way before the name got popular. Because he is the only one I know, this name doesn't seem very popular to me, (even if it really is!) And for that same reason, the name is all-masculine to me.
- Nicknames for Riley: | Edit
Ry, Ry-Ry, Riles.
- Meanings and history of the name Riley: | Edit
Meanings of the name "Riley".
- Famous real-life people named Riley: | Edit
Riley King (B.B. King), American musician
Riley P. Bechtel, American businessman
Riley A. Bender, American businessman and politician
Riley Breckenridge, American musician
Riley Chamberlin, American silent film actor
Riley Martin, American author
Riley Smith, American actor
Riley Swanson, American football player
Riley Odoms, American football player
Riley Matheson, American football player
Riley Edward Donoho, son of actress Holly Marie Combs
- Riley in song, story & screen: | Edit
"The Life of Riley", popular 1940s radio series
Riley Stavros - character from the TV show Degrassi: The Next Generation
Riley Freeman - animated character from the TV show The Boondocks
Riley- Twilight's Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer, Evil Vampire
Name Lists Featuring Riley
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand
- English and Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England and Wales
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales), 2010
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand, 2010
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland, 2011