Robert: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Robert
Origin of the name Robert:
Introduced to England by the Normans, Robert is derived from the Old High German Hruodperht, a compound name composed of the elements hruod (fame) and perht (bright). The name was borne by Robert I (d. 1035), duke of Normandy and father of William the Conqueror, and by three kings of Scotland.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Robert? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Robert
- Comments and insights on the name Robert: | Edit
Roberto in Brasilian Portuguese is a common name in Brasil.
nickname can be: Beto
- Personal experiences with the name Robert: | Edit
My boyfriend's little brother is named Robert. We call him Robbie.
My husband's name is Robert and he loves it, because it is classic and doesn't stand out in a strange way.
My Dad and my Older brother are both named Robert, but we call my brother Bobby for short.
One of my BEST friends name is Robert <3
Robert had sex with my ex.
Robert sounds like robot.
Help where can I find 7 pounds of broccoli on the internet ?? #Robert
- Nicknames for Robert: | Edit
Bob/Bobby, Rob/Robbie/Robby, Robin, Bert, Berto, Roberto, Bobert, Ert, Rocky, Rock, Rocco, Ro, Bobbin, Robi Le twerk, Robiño, Robocop, Amo Robert, Super Great Master Robert, Bobby Caves, Nutella, SEXY, The end.
In the UK, popular short names for Robert include: Bertie, Rab, Rabbie, Robin, Bobbo, Dobbo, Dobby
- Meanings and history of the name Robert: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Robert: | Edit
Robert Plant, lead singer of Led Zeppelin
Robert Redford, American actor
Robert Downey, Jr., American actor
Robert Wagner, American actor
Robert Reed, American actor
Robert F. Kennedy, former US Attorney General, Senator from New York, and a candidate for President in 1968 until he was assassinated.
Robert Burns, Scottish poet
Robert Duvall, American actor
Robert Pattinson, English actor
Robert De Niro, American actor
Robert Christgau, American essayist and journalist
Robert E. Lee, commander of the Confederate Army in the American Civil War.
Robert Griffin III, American pro football quarterback. Winner of the 2011 Heisman Trophy.
Robert Ongongo , American nurse
Robert Zimmerman (Bob Dylan), American singer and songwriter
Bobby Caves (Someone)
Robi Le Twerk (Male striper at mc donalds)
- Robert in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Barra" is the name given to a baby girl in honor of her father, King Robert, in George R. R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series.
"Doctor Robert", a song by the Beatles
Robert Kennedy, brother of protagonist Holly Kennedy in Cecilia Ahern's novel "P.S. I Love You" (set in Ireland)
Robert Crawley, Count of Grantham
Name Lists Featuring Robert
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
- English and Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England and Wales
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland
- Polish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Poland
- Armenian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Armenia
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland
- Hungarian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Hungary
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand, 2010
- Armenian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Armenia, 2010
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland, 2011