Rohan: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Rohan
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Rohan? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Rohan
- Comments and insights on the name Rohan: | Edit
An anglicized form of the Irish personal name Ruadhán/Ruadhain "red/red haired". Basically the word red, ruadh, with a diminutive suffix. Another more common anglicization is Rowan.
A Tolkien name relating to "land of the horse lords". Tolkien was aware of the place in Brittany, France called Rohan and that it was a surname of an old aristocratic French family.
Rohan is also a Sanskrit name meaning "to ascend".
- Personal experiences with the name Rohan: | Edit
It is a great name, especially in the Afrikaans South African culture where it is mostly spelled Ruan. It is a great name that does not fade into the crowd.
- Nicknames for Rohan: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Rohan: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Rohan: | Edit
Rohan Marley, Musician and son of Bob Marley
- Rohan in song, story & screen: | Edit
- In Lord of the Rings.
- Rohan is a newborn in the Nickelodeon serie: 'Avatar: The Legend Of Korra'.
Global Popularity of the Name Rohan
- #259 in Canada (British Columbia)
- #325 in Scotland
- #528 in United States