Rory Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Rory:
Anglcized form of Ruairí (red, rust-colored). The name was born by Rory O'Conor, the last high king of Ireland, who reigned from 1166 - 1170.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Rory? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Rory
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
- English and Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England and Wales (2013)
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland, 2011
- English and Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England and Wales
- English Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland for 2012
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland for 2012
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland for 2012
Contribute your knowledge to the name Rory
- Comments and insights on the name Rory: | Edit
I've heard this as a nickname for the names 'Gregory', 'Roreto',
- Personal experiences with the name Rory: | Edit
My little brother's name is Rory. It is a very strong, unique name that suits him perfectly. Upon hearing his name, people already assume that he is a smart, competent, brave person, and he is. I think it takes a special little boy to wear this name.
- Nicknames for Rory: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Rory: | Edit
In Teutonic the meaning of the name Rory is: Famous ruler.
Rory means "Red King" in Irish Gaelic.
Rory means the "Red Rebel Chief" Rory O'More who is celebrated in Irish poetry.
Possibly Means "Tall"
The Scottish meaning is "fiery".
- Famous real-life people named Rory: | Edit
Rory O'More is the Sixteenth century "Rebel Chief"
Rory O'Hanlon, Irish politician
Rory Culkin, American actor (brother of Macaulay and Kieran)
Rory Calhoun, American film actor
Rory O'Malley, Irish-American musical theater actor.
Rory McIlroy, Northern Irish professional golfer.
Rory Gallagher, Irish rock musician/guitar player
Rory McCann, Scottish Actor
Rory Gates, son of Microsoft's Bill Gates
Rory Kinnear, British actor
Rory Wagner, The tallest person on earth
- Rory in song, story & screen: | Edit
the son on the television show "eight simple rules for dating my teenage daughter"
In episode 20 of the 6th season of The Simpsons ("Two Dozen and One Greyhounds"), Mr. Burns remarks that one of the puppies reminds him of Rory Calhoun
Rory Williams (or Rory Pond to the Doctor), a companion in Doctor Who
Rory Flanagan, character on Glee.
Daughter on the T.V show "Gilmore Girls"
Rory Hawthorne a character in Suzanne Collins The Hunger Games
Rory Wagon, special ops MLA agent (Agent Everest) in the movie "Where is Like Lemons"