Sam: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Sam
Origin of the name Samuel:
The Ecclesiastic Late Latin form of the Ecclesiastic Greek Samouel, which is from the Hebrew Shmuel, a name derived from shěmū’ē‘l (name of God, his name is God). Var: Sam. Pet: Sammy.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Sam? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Sam
- Comments and insights on the name Sam: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Personal experiences with the name Sam: | Edit
My husband's name is Sam. I never imagined I would marry anyone named Sam because the name sounded so boring to me. Actually my Sam is the most loving, loyal, trustworthy, nonjudgemental person I have ever met. When my friends and I are talking, I frequently say "Damn Sam" simply because it just goes together.
- Nicknames for Sam: | Edit
Sammy, Sammy Boi, Samd dog
- Meanings and history of the name Sam: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Sam: | Edit
Sam Bettley, bassist for the band Asking Alexandria
- Sam in song, story & screen: | Edit
Sam Winchester, character in the CW's tv series "Supernatural" - played by Jared Padalecki
Uncle Sam, symbol of the United States
Sam I Am, character in Dr. Seuss's Green Eggs and Ham -- (That Sam I Am, That Sam I Am, I do not like that Sam I Am!)
Sam Gamgee, character in J.R.R. Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
"Son of Sam", a song by Elliott Smith
Sam Wilson, secret identity of the Falcon in Marvel comics
Name Lists Featuring Sam
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand
- Belgian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Belgium
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland
Global Popularity of the Name Sam
- #57 in Scotland
- #58 in Ireland
- #63 in Belgium
- #70 in Australia (Victoria)
- #77 in England
- #88 in Australia (New South Wales)
- #93 in Sweden
- #188 in Canada (Quebec)
- #302 in Canada (British Columbia)
- #329 in Canada (Alberta)
- #390 in Norway
- #458 in United States