Sean Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Sean:
Derived from Seán, an Irish cognate of John (God is gracious). See JOHN.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Sean? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Sean
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland 2014
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland 2014
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland, 2011
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland for 2012
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland for 2012
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland for 2012
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
Contribute your knowledge to the name Sean
- Comments and insights on the name Sean: | Edit
John is listed here as a common brother's name for Sean. Please do not name multiple children in the same family Sean, John, and Ian. It's the same name.
I don't agree re "Please do not name multiple children in the same family Sean, John, and Ian". My
name is John. Not wanting to upset either granddad, and wanting my son named after me without using
"Jr", we named our first son Ian. Our second son, Sean. Both sons are adults now, both love their
unique name, and proud of them.
Haha I just read that. I agree. My husband's name is Sean Patrick. Very Irish. Pretty name.
My son's first name is Ethan and middle being Sean. I picked that because my husband's name is John plus I liked the name Shawn in general but thought that spelling didn't match and like Sean better. I also have a son named Ryan which goes with the Irish naming (although I'm only a little Irish). Also love the show psych whose main character is named Shawn.
Sean is the Irish version of John. One of many versions of that name, we're also common to: John, Sean, Johann, Jean, Juan and many, many others spread across nearly all cultures...
The positioning of the accent (fada) in this name is very important. Seán is the Irish for John. Séan is pronounced Shane and is the Ulster dialect spelling. Sean (shh-ANN) is a common spelling but actually means 'old, senior, ancestor' and is a common vocabulary word in the Irish language.
- Personal experiences with the name Sean: | Edit
My elder son is Sean even if i'm not from an english spoken country. I'm french and gabonese so french is my mother tong. Sometimes people can't easily pronounce Sean even for my family and i Think my pronounciation is a little bit wrong but my husband wanted to name his first children Sean. So in order to continue with celtic/ gaelic/ english name we decided to name ou second son Liâm. I think it sounds not to bad. Now we try to find a third name for the next baby not too far from this style.
I love my sons' name and i think they do too.
- Nicknames for Sean: | Edit
Shean, Shawny, Se, Shaw, shin, Sean Macaroni
In Ireland, sometimes people would call my brother "Seáinín" (Pronounced Shawneen)
- Meanings and history of the name Sean: | Edit
Hebrew for heavenly generosity
- Famous real-life people named Sean: | Edit
Sean Penn - American actor
Sean Berdy- American actor and comedian
Sean Connery- British Actor
Sean Lennon - American musician; son of John Lennon
Sean Payton - American football coach
Sean Combs - American musician
Sean McNamera- Movie director
Sean Astin- American actor
Sean Biggerstaff- British actor
Sean Bean - also British Actor
Sean Thoburn - Unseen Asian Actor
- Sean in song, story & screen: | Edit
Dr. Sean McNamera- "Nip/Tuck"
Shawn Hunter- "Boy meets World"
Sean Finnerty- "Grounded For Life"
Sean Reagan- Danny's son on Blue Bloods
Dr. Sean Green "The Ghost Bird" series
Sean Cassidy, the original Banshee in the -Men comics
Shawn the Sheep, cartoon and movie