Sebastian: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Sebastian
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Sebastian? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Sebastian
- Comments and insights on the name Sebastian: | Edit
I named my first son Sebastian and everyone loves his name. We call him Sebby for short. He is a beautiful blond hair, blue-eyed boy, and everyone is attracted to his radiant energy and lively smile. He fits his name perfectly and we love it!
- Personal experiences with the name Sebastian: | Edit
I have two sons and we called our eldest Sebastian. He was known as Sebastian for the first year of his life and now he is Seb. People get it confused with Seth a lot which is irritating!
Some people think that it sounds pretentious but I think it's a lovely, sophisticated name
Older brothers name is Sebastian. I love it and he loves it.
- I named my second son Sebastian. I loved that name throughout my childhood and when I found that he was a boy, it was a perfect opportunity. In personality, he is precocious, deeply thoughtful, confident, and loves to debate. He is unique among his peers and rises above the limitations of his physical disabilities to live a very normal teenage life.
- Nicknames for Sebastian: | Edit
Bas, Basti, Bastian, Bastien, Baz, Seb, Sebas, Sebasti, Sebi, Sebby, Seby, Sabby, Basy, Basi, Basten, Base, Bass, Sab, Astian, Astin, Asy, Asie, Ian, Bash, Bazzy, Baba, Sebo, Tiger, Moran
- Meanings and history of the name Sebastian: | Edit
Many baby name books give the meaning of Sebastian as "from Sebastia" which was an area in the ancient Roman empire located today in the West Bank. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastia,_Nablus) However, it is likely a derivation of the Latin name Sebastianus, itself derived from he Greek word "sebastos" meaning "venerable" and closely related to the Latin "augustus" of the same meaning.
St. Sebastian is said to have been one of the Emperor Diocletian's Praetorian Guards who was secretly a Christian. He was said to have protected many Christians during Diocletian's persecution of them and to have converted many more. When his secret was discovered, Diocletian had him shot through with arrows (a thousand some stories say) which he survived, only to be later be beaten to death and thrown in a privy.
USAGE: German, English, Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, Polish, Finnish, Romanian
PRONOUNCED: ze-BAHS-tee-ahn (German), sə-BAS-chən (English), se-BAHS-tyahn (Polish) key
Meaning & History
From the Latin name Sebastianus which meant "from Sebaste". Sebaste was the name a town in Asia Minor, its name deriving from Greek σεβαστος (sebastos) "venerable" (a translation of Latin Augustus, the title of the Roman emperors). Saint Sebastian was a 3rd-century Roman soldier martyred by arrows after it was discovered he was a Christian. Due to the saint's popularity, the name came into general use in medieval Europe, especially in Spain and France. It was also borne by a 16th-century king of Portugal who died in a crusade against Morocco.
See All Relations
Show Family Tree
DIMINUTIVES: Bastian (German), Sepi, Seppo (Finnish)
OTHER LANGUAGES: Sebastijan (Croatian), Sebastiaan, Bas, Bastiaan (Dutch), Sébastien, Bastien (French), Sebestyén (Hungarian), Sebastiano (Italian), Sebastianus (Late Roman), Sebastião (Portuguese), Sevastian, Sevastyan (Russian), Sebastijan, Sebastjan, Boštjan (Slovene), Sebastián (Spanish)
- Famous real-life people named Sebastian: | Edit
Sebastian Vollmer - American football player
Sebastian Janikowski - American football player
Sebastian Telfair - American basketball player
Sebastian Vettel - Formula 1 World Champion Driver
Sebastian Sauve - American model
Sebastian Balesteros - Spanish golfer
Sebastian Stan - American actor
- Sebastian in song, story & screen: | Edit
Sebastian Valmont (played by Ryan Phillipe) Cruel Intentions (1999)
Bastian Balthazar Bux, protagonist of The Never-Ending Story.
Sebastian Flyte, a prominent character in Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited.
Scottish indie-rock band Belle and Sebastian
Sebastian and Viola are siblings in Vita Sackville-West's novel "The Edwardians"
Sebastian and Viola are twins in Shakespeare's "Twelfth Night" and the movie "She's a Man"
Sebastian the Crab in Disney's The Little Mermaid
Sebastian in Cassandra Clare's "Mortal Instruments" Series
Sebastian is a character in the FOX show Glee, who attends Dalton Academy.
Sebastian Michaelis is a character in a Japanese anime called Black Butler or Kuroshitsuji.
Sebastian Spaniola, Boswell Lomer's rich, handsome, philandering brother-in-law in the internet comic blog, "The Greasers of Hazzick Flats". http://www.thegreasersofhazzickflats.blogspot.com
Name Lists Featuring Sebastian
- Danish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Denmark
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden
- Norwegian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Norway
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand
- Austrian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Austria
- English and Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England and Wales
- Chilean Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Chile
- Polish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Poland
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales), 2010
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand, 2010
- Austrian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Austria, 2010
- Danish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Denmark, 2010
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland, 2010
- Norwegian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Norway, 2010
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden, 2010
- Mexican Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Mexico