Seth Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Seth:
Seth Derived from the Hebrew sheth (appointed). The name is borne in the Bible by the third son of Adam and Eve, borne after the death of Abel at the hands of his brother, Cain.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Seth? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Seth
- English and Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England and Wales (2013)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand, 2010
- English and Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England and Wales
- English Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England
- Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Wales
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria) for 2012
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Queensland)
Contribute your knowledge to the name Seth
- Comments and insights on the name Seth: | Edit
In early America, the name Seth was often given to a child born after the death of a sibling, like the Biblical Seth who was born after the death of his brother Abel.
- Personal experiences with the name Seth: | Edit
• My husband and I named our third child Seth, and I associate the name as youthful, adventurous, and full of mischief! I love our little Seth!
• I wanted a Bible name and Seth was a nice name but yet not common. Our son loves his name
• Seth is my father’s name. We don’t always have a great relationship but I love him.
- Nicknames for Seth: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Seth: | Edit
Hebrew origin. Means "appointed" (Eve gave birth to Seth as a third son, the first and second being Cain and Abel. When Cain slew Abel, Eve believed God "appointed" her Seth).
Sete means otter in Old French (from ancestry.com)
Set /sɛt/ or Seth (/sɛθ/; also spelled Setesh, Sutekh, Setekh, or Suty) is a god of the desert, storms, disorder, violence and foreigners in ancient Egyptian religion. In Ancient Greek, the god's name is given as Sēth (Σήθ). Set is not, however, a god to be ignored or avoided; he has a positive role where he is employed by Ra on his solar boat to repel the serpent of Chaos Apep. Set had a vital role as a reconciled combatant. He was lord of the red (desert) land where he was the balance to Horus' role as lord of the black (soil) land. (from Wikipedia)
- Famous real-life people named Seth: | Edit
• Seth MacFarlane (American screenwriter, animator, actor, comedian, producer and singer)
• Seth Green (American actor, comedian, and producer)
• Seth Rogen (Canadian actor, comedian, screenwriter, and producer)
• Seth Meyers (American actor and comedian, SNL)
• Seth Godin (American entrepreneur)
• Seth Rudetsy (American Broadway actor and musician)
• Seth Gold ( Reality T.V Star, Hardcore Pawn)
• Seth Dusky (Child voice actor)
- Seth in song, story & screen: | Edit
• Seth Rollins, WWE wrestler (real name Colby Lopez)
• Seth is the name of one of the sons of Adam and Eve in the Bible
• Seth Cohen (TV show 'The O.C.,' 2003-2007)
• Seth Morgan (Melissa Marr's 'Wicked Lovely' book series)
• Seth was a boy on Beethoven's 2nd movie.
• Seth Clearwater, a werewolf in the Twilight series
• Jake T. Austin's character in New Year's Eve