Shane Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Shane:
An Anglicized form of the Irish Seaghán, a variant form of Eóin which is a Gaelic cognate of John (God is gracious).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Shane? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Shane
Contribute your knowledge to the name Shane
- Comments and insights on the name Shane: | Edit
- Personal experiences with the name Shane: | Edit
I know someone named Shane. He’s very nice, and all, but he often gets teased with people calling him “Shame” instead of “Shane”. Other than that, I think it’s a nice name for a boy.
- Nicknames for Shane: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Shane: | Edit
- Famous real-life people named Shane: | Edit
Shane Dawson, YouTuber
- Shane in song, story & screen: | Edit
Shane Grey from Disney's Camp Rock 1 & 2; portrayed by Joe Jonas