Shawn: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Shawn
Origin of the name Sean:
Derived from Seán, an Irish cognate of John (God is gracious). See JOHN.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Shawn? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Shawn
- Comments and insights on the name Shawn: | Edit
Of all the translations of John, I love Shawn the most by far. It has a nice modern ring to it but is not too common. I also very much prefer this spelling as well. It is starting to become very popular amongst young men.
- Personal experiences with the name Shawn: | Edit
My husband's named Shawn Michael and I love his name. When I think of a Shawn I think of someone modern, fun, smart, and charming (everything my husband is of coarse:-).
My husband's name is Shawn Patrick which is a very popular combo, as is Shawn Michael. He always says this is the real spelling of Shawn, not Sean.
- Nicknames for Shawn: | Edit
Shawnathon Shawnie Shawno
- Meanings and history of the name Shawn: | Edit
Irish origin. Means "God is gracious."
- Famous real-life people named Shawn: | Edit
• Shawn Bradley (American NBA basketball player, Dallas Mavericks)
• Shawn Carter (American rapper, Jay-Z)
• Shawn Johnson (American former NFL football player)
• Shawn Wayans (American actor and comedian)
Shawn White (American Snowboarder)
- Shawn in song, story & screen: | Edit
Shawn Spencer (TV-Psych)