Shawn: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Shawn
Origin of the name Sean:
Derived from Seán, an Irish cognate of John (God is gracious). See JOHN.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Shawn? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Shawn
- Comments and insights on the name Shawn: | Edit
Of all the translations of John, I love Shawn the most by far. It has a nice modern ring to it but is not too common. I also very much prefer this spelling as well. It is starting to become very popular amongst young men.
- Personal experiences with the name Shawn: | Edit
My husband's named Shawn Michael and I love his name. When I think of a Shawn I think of someone modern, fun, smart, and charming (everything my husband is of coarse:-).
My husband's name is Shawn Patrick which is a very popular combo, as is Shawn Michael. He always says this is the real spelling of Shawn, not Sean.
- Nicknames for Shawn: | Edit
Shawnathon Shawnie Shawno
- Meanings and history of the name Shawn: | Edit
Irish origin. Means "God is gracious."
- Famous real-life people named Shawn: | Edit
Shawn Mendes, hot canadian singer!!
- Shawn in song, story & screen: | Edit
Shawn Spencer (TV-Psych)