Simon: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Simon | Boys
Origin of the name Simon:
Derived from the Hebrew shim'ōn (heard). The name is borned in the Bible by several characters, including Simon of Cyrene, the man seized from the crowd during the procession of the crucifixion to carry the heavy cross after Jesus could no longer bear its weight.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Simon? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Simon
- Comments and insights on the name Simon: | Edit
Simon is also a surname. Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel used their surnames for their duo act "Simon and Garfunkel".
Is SIMON a powerful name...
SIMON is the name of the largest real estate holding company in the ENTIRE WORLD. SIMON TEMPLAR-The Saint,pre-James Bond... need I say more?
- Personal experiences with the name Simon: | Edit
"Simon" is slang in Spanish for "si" (yes).
I have a friend with this name. We use to call him "Simona" instead of Simon. Haha~
- Nicknames for Simon: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Simon: | Edit
Simon was the original name of the apostle that Jesus renamed Peter, and in the Catholic tradition was the first Pope.
- Famous real-life people named Simon: | Edit
Simon Baker, actor
Simon Cowell, television personality
Simon Gallup, musician
Simon Helberg, American actor
Simon LeBon, singer-songwriter
Simon Pegg, actor and comedian
Simon Amstell, comedian and presenter
- Simon in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Simon Says", children's game.
"Simple Simon" children's rhyme.
Dr. Simon Tam, character in tv series Firefly and movie Serenity played by Sean Maher.
Simon Basset, Duke of Hastings, hero of regency romance novel "The Duke and I" by Julia Quinn
Simon Bae, character in the Darkest Powers trilogy by Kelley Armstrong
Simon from Alvin and the Chipmunks
"My Name is Simon", children's cartoon on Captain Kangaroo.
Simon Williams, real name of Wonder Man in Marvel comics
Simon Camden, character in the tv series 7th Heaven.
Simon Lewis, a literary character in the book series the Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare
Simon Barlow, character from Coronation Street
Name Lists Featuring Simon
- Danish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Denmark
- Swedish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Sweden
- Austrian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Austria
- Belgian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Belgium
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec)
- Swiss Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Switzerland (German)
- Swiss Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Switzerland (French)
- Hungarian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Hungary
Global Popularity of the Name Simon
- #5 in Austria
- #7 in Switzerland (German)
- #11 in Belgium
- #20 in Sweden
- #21 in Denmark
- #22 in Czech Republic
- #22 in Germany
- #32 in Canada (Quebec)
- #68 in Norway
- #76 in Slovenia
- #93 in Hungary
- #117 in Canada (Alberta)
- #123 in Canada (British Columbia)
- #231 in Scotland
- #261 in United States