Theodore Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Theodore:
Derived from the Latin Theodorus, which is from the Greek Theodōros, a compounding of the elements theos (god) and dōron (a gift): hence, "God's gift." Var: Theodor. Short: Theo. Pet: Teddy.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Theodore? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Theodore
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand
- English and Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England and Wales (2013)
- English and Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England and Wales
- English Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England
- Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Wales
- French Boys Names: Most Popular Boys Names in France
Contribute your knowledge to the name Theodore
- Comments and insights on the name Theodore: | Edit
We named our youngest son Theodore (older brother is named Henry). We like classic, strong names, so Theodore was on our short list before our son was born (along with Augusten, nn Gus). When he was born, he just looked like a Theodore, though. His nn is Teddy or Ted.
Older brother Maxwell nn Max, older sister Annika nn Annie. Got the name list down to 3 - Oscar, Beckett, Theodore - and took the list to the hospital. After he was born, there was no question that Theodore nn Theo fit him best!
Our youngest son is named Theodore, nickname Ted, Teddy, Teddy Bear. Our older sons' names are Henry and Mitchell. We just love having a strong classic name and so many people comment on our little "Bear".
- Personal experiences with the name Theodore: | Edit
I played with the idea of naming my daughter Theodore.
My cousin's name is Theodore, though he's always gone by Teddy. He was born in '92. His other nicknames have been Ted and Tedro.
- Nicknames for Theodore: | Edit
Ted, Teddy, Theo, Teo, Terry, Rory
- Meanings and history of the name Theodore: | Edit
Of Greek Origin, meaning "Gift of God".
- Famous real-life people named Theodore: | Edit
Theodore "Teddy" Roosevelt - 26th US President
Theodor Seuss Geisel - American author, better known as Dr. Seuss
Theodore "Ted" Stevens - former US Senator from Alaska
Theodore "Ted" Nugent - American musician
Theodore "Ted" Bundy- American serial killer
Theodore Dreiser - American novelist
Theodore Maiman - American inventor of the laser
Theodor Adorno - 20th Century Philosopher and Sociologist
- Theodore in song, story & screen: | Edit
Theodore Laurence, from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Theodore "Teddy" Altman, Hulkling from Young Avengers
Theodore "Theo" Huxtable, character on The Cosby Show
Theodore "Theo" Kojak, character on Kojak
Theodore, from Alvin and the Chipmunks
Theodore "Teddy" Cutting, from The Luxe Series by Anna Godbersen
Theodore Twombly from Spike Jones' "Her"