Tom Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Thomas:
Derived from the Aramaic tē’ōma (a twin). The name is borne in the Bible by an apostle who doubted the resurrection of Christ. It is from him that the label "Doubting Thomas" came. Var: Thomass, Tomas. Short: Thom, Tom. Pet: Tommy.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Tom? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Tom
- Belgian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Belgium (Flanders) 2014
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland 2014
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland 2014
- German Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Germany 2014
- Belgian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Belgium (Flanders), 2010
- French Boys Names: Most Popular Boys Names in France, 2010
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland, 2010
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland for 2012
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland for 2012
- French Boys Names: Most Popular Boys Names in France
- German Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Germany
- Dutch Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in The Netherlands
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
Contribute your knowledge to the name Tom
- Comments and insights on the name Tom: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Personal experiences with the name Tom: | Edit
Tom Holland is the hottest man alive! Even though I haven't met him, he is so nice and I hope one day that ill meet him and annoy him about "quackson".
- Nicknames for Tom: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Tom: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Tom: | Edit
Tom Gorman, an American guitarist, composer, and photographer who played alongside with his brother Chris in the alternative rock band Belly.
Thomas Dwaine "Tom" Arnold, American actor and comedian
Thomas John "Tom" Brokaw, American television journalist
Tom Felton, English actor and singer
Thomas Michael "Tom" Fletcher, member of McFly
Thomas Carlyle "Tom" Ford, American fashion designer
Thomas Jeffrey "Tom" Hanks, American actor
Edward Thomas "Tom" Hardy, English actor
Thomas Stanley "Tom" Holland, English actor
Thomas William "Tom" Hiddleston, English actor
Thomas "Tomska" Ridgewell, English animator, writer, filmmaker, and voice actor
Tom Kaulitz guitarist of German band Tokio Hotel
Thomas Cruise "Tom" Mapother, American actor
Thomas Earl "Tom" Petty, American singer-songwriter
Thomas Geoffrey "Tom" Wilkinson, English actor
Thomas John Patrick "Tom" Welling, American actor
Tom Austen, Britsh Actor
Tom Kenny - voice actor, most notable for the voice of SpongeBob SquarePants
Thomas Matthew DeLonge Jr,American musician, singer, songwriter, author, record producer, actor and filmmaker.Most notable as the frontman/lead guitarist and vocalist for Angels & Airwaves,former guitarist/singer of blink-182
- Tom in song, story & screen: | Edit
Tom Marvolo Riddle - Lord Voldemort's real name in Harry Potter
"Tom's Midnight Garden" - classic juvenile novel by Philippa Pearce
"Adventures of Tom Sawyer" by Mark Twain
Tom the cat from "Tom and Jerry" (cartoon)
Tom Branson - character from Downton Abbey
Thomas Barrow - character from Downton Abbey
Tom, a fictional American Curl kitty character in the story Adventure Wonders
Tom Clarkson, former teacher on "Waterloo Road" (deceased)
Tom Natsworthy, protagonist of the Mortal Engines series
Tom Haverford, character from "Parks and Recreation"
Matthew 'Tom' King, English highwayman
Black Tom Cassidy, a villain from the X-Men and Excalibur comics
Thomas the Tank Engine, famous actor