Tyler: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Tyler
Origin of the name Tyler:
Transferred use of the surname derived from the Old French tieuleor, tieulier (tiler, tile maker) and the Middle English tyler, tylere (a brick, a tile). The name originated as an occupational name for a tile or brick maker or layer.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Tyler? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Tyler
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in the Republic of Ireland
- English and Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England and Wales (2013)
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Northern Ireland
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales), 2010
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand, 2010
- Irish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Scotland, 2011
- English and Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England and Wales
Contribute your knowledge to the name Tyler
- Comments and insights on the name Tyler: | Edit
This is a really cute name. I think it would sound good for a boy or a girl.
Tyler is a lovely, very masculine name, and it ages well without dating its bearer!
A great combination would be Mason Tyler or Tyler Mason, since they both have the same meaning...
- Personal experiences with the name Tyler: | Edit
My parents named me Tyler in 1969 so they were WAY ahead of their time. I remember as a young boy asking my mom what my name would be when I grew up to be a man....I assumed I would have to change it to Bill or Joe or something! I was the only Tyler I knew back in the 70's and 80's and now every other kid seems to be named Tyler. A great name but over-popular these days.
I was born in 1992, and my parents came up with my name (Tyler) thinking it would be unique and unusual. They didn't think many other people were naming their kids my name. However, it just so happens that the popularity of the name Tyler peaked in the early '90's for naming babies, which includes today all of my friends and classmates. Out of a high school of 265 people, I am one out of 8 Tylers, and it is often annoying when people shout or gossip about the name, for I never know which Tyler they are talking to/about.
My son's name is Tyler. He was born in 2002. I hadn't heard of a lot of people with that name at the time, but now I realize that it's pretty common and popular. I still thinks it's a good name and it seems to suit him. We mostly just call him Ty.
Like the previous person above, my son's name is Tyler, but he was born in 2010. While it is really common, I still love his name. He is named after my brother, Joseph Tyler, who died a few months before my son's birth in a car crash. My son's name was originally supposed to be Nicholas, but at the last minute we decided to go with Tyler in honor of my brother. My son's middle name is Andrew, a classic, biblical name that I just love.
My parents named me Tyler in 1999 and it seems to be a very popular name for my birthyear. Just in my grade alone there are about 11 Tylers not including myself!My best friends name is Tyler. We're even on the same baseball team. That's another thing I have noticed, a lot of baseball players names are Tyler including me.
- Nicknames for Tyler: | Edit
Tyler the Creator
tyler the loser
- Meanings and history of the name Tyler: | Edit
An occupational name meaning someone who works with Tile.
Also means "Mason" Mason's and Tilers do the same work, they lay brick or stone, they are builders. Not to be confused with "Free Masons".
- Famous real-life people named Tyler: | Edit
Tyler Perry - American actor and producer
Tyler Posey - American actor (Plays Scott McCall on MTV's Teen Wolf.)
Tyler Hoechlin - American actor (Plays Derek Hale on MTV's Teen Wolf.)
Tyler Oakley - American Youtuber
Tyler Sales - Ice Cream Truck Driver
Tyler Seguin-NHL player for the Dallas Stars
John Tyler - 10th President of the United States
Tyler the Creator - Rapper
Tyler Hilton - Pop singer
- Tyler in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Tippecanoe and Tyler too!" - catchy campaign slogan for U.S. President Tyler (more memorable than anything he did as president)
Pop goes the weasel