Wylie Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name William:
From the Old Norman French Willaume, which is derived from the Old High German Willehelm, a compound name composed from the elements willeo (will, determination) and helm (protection, helmet): hence, "resolute protector." William is the most popular name introduced to England by the Normans. It was borne by William the Conqueror (1027? - 87), who invaded England and defeated Harald at the Battle of Hastings, and by three other kings of England.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Wylie? What are his siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Wylie
Contribute your knowledge to the name Wylie
- Comments and insights on the name Wylie: | Edit
It's a terrific name, sexy, intelligent, lyrical!
- Personal experiences with the name Wylie: | Edit
My son's first name is Wylie, and it is nice to have a unique name that is not "weird"
- Nicknames for Wylie: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Wylie: | Edit
Wylie is the Scottish form of William.
- Famous real-life people named Wylie: | Edit
Wylie Dufresne, chef
Wylie Gustafson, singer/songwriter
- Wylie in song, story & screen: | Edit
Wile E. Coyote, cartoon character