Wylie: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Wylie
Origin of the name William:
From the Old Norman French Willaume, which is derived from the Old High German Willehelm, a compound name composed from the elements willeo (will, determination) and helm (protection, helmet): hence, "resolute protector." William is the most popular name introduced to England by the Normans. It was borne by William the Conqueror (1027? - 87), who invaded England and defeated Harald at the Battle of Hastings, and by three other kings of England.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Wylie? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Wylie
- Comments and insights on the name Wylie: | Edit
It's a terrific name, sexy, intelligent, lyrical!
- Personal experiences with the name Wylie: | Edit
My son's first name is Wylie, and it is nice to have a unique name that is not "weird"
- Nicknames for Wylie: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Wylie: | Edit
Wylie is the Scottish form of William.
- Famous real-life people named Wylie: | Edit
Wylie Dufresne, chef
Wylie Gustafson, singer/songwriter
- Wylie in song, story & screen: | Edit
Wile E. Coyote, cartoon character