Zachary: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Zachary
Origin of the name Zachary:
English cognate of the Ecclesiastic Late Latin and Ecclesiastic Greek Zacharias (remembrance of the Lord), which is from the Hebrew Zecharya, a derivative of zĕcharyah (God remembers, memory).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Zachary? What are his siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Zachary
- Comments and insights on the name Zachary: | Edit
This name was an 80s and 90s trend, so I think it's best to keep in mind that this name will now be associated with people in their 20s and 30s. Today, it calls up images of youth and adolescence. However, it is also a name with history and substance. After all, we had a president named Zachary. I feel it ages fairly well and is neither infantile or dated. It's refreshing to hear the name Zachary on older men, but nothing to bat an eye at on younger men or children. It's non-traditional in the conventional sense, but traditional in light of current trendy made-up names like Jayden and Ryder. I would name a son Zachary if I wanted something "safe" but not too current.
Every Zach I've known has been a little strange. . .
- Personal experiences with the name Zachary: | Edit
This is my brother's name, and it fits him so well! I can't imagine him with any other name. We call him Zach, but I call him Zachary a lot. (: His middle name is Austin, too.
Being 25, I went to school with a fair amount of boys named Zachary, whom all went by Zack. All nice, upstanding guys.
- Nicknames for Zachary: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Zachary: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Zachary: | Edit
Zachary Quinto, American Actor
Zachary Taylor, 12th President of the United States
Zachary "Zac" Hanson, American singer
Zachary Levi, American actor
Zachary "Zac" Efron, American actor
Zachary "Zack" Merrick, Bassist of All Time Low
Zachary "Zach" Rance, Big Brother 16 contestant
- Zachary in song, story & screen: | Edit
Zac Hanson, from the band Hanson
Zack Morris, from Saved by the Bell ("Preppie")
Dr Zachary "Zack" Addy, character from the hit TV show "Bones"
"Zak and Sara," a song by Ben Folds
"A Baby Just Like You" by John Denver (lyrics "Merry Christmas, Little Zachary")
Zachary "Zack" Martin, a main character on the Disney TV show " The Suite Life of Zack and Cody"
Dr. Zachary P. Smith, from "Lost in Space"
Name Lists Featuring Zachary
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand
- English and Welsh Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in England and Wales
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec)
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (New South Wales), 2010
- Australian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in New Zealand, 2010
- Canadian Boys Names: Most Popular Names for Boys in Canada (Quebec), 2010