Greta: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Greta
Origin of the name Greta:
A short form of Margarethe (a pearl), Greta is also commonly bestowed as an independent given name.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Greta? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Greta
- Comments and insights on the name Greta: | Edit
Greta is such a sweet name, yet it works well on a serious adult.
- Personal experiences with the name Greta: | Edit
My Grandmother named me and I really like my name. It is uncommon but not so much that it can not be pronounced.
- Nicknames for Greta: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Greta: | Edit
It is of German origin. Short form of Margaret (Greek) "pearl".
- Famous real-life people named Greta: | Edit
Greta Garbo, actress
Greta Van Susteren, journalist
Greta Scacchi, Italian-English actress
Daughter of Phoebe Cates and Kevin Klein
- Greta in song, story & screen: | Edit
Greta von Amberg, character on the soap opera "Days of our Lives"
In the movie Liar, Liar with Jim Carrey, his secretary is named Greta.
Name Lists Featuring Greta
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden
- Italian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Italy
- Hungarian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Hungary
- Italian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Italy, 2010
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden, 2010
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (Italian), 2010