Iris: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Iris
Origin of the name Iris:
A name of two distinct derivations in use throughout Europe and the British Isles. In England, Iris is one of the flower names and is derived from the genus Iris. Elsewhere in Europe, it is generally taken from Iris, the mythological Greek goddess of the rainbow.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Iris? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Iris
- Comments and insights on the name Iris: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Personal experiences with the name Iris: | Edit
I know a woman named Myrissa who goes by Iris.
- Nicknames for Iris: | Edit
Ira, Ice, Ris, Virus, Kiki
- Meanings and history of the name Iris: | Edit
In Greek mythology, Iris (Ἴρις) is the personification of the rainbow and messenger of the gods. As the sun unites Earth and heaven, Iris links the gods to humanity. She travels with the speed of wind from one end of the world to the other, and into the depths of the sea and the underworld.
Iris, a genus of flowering plants. The iris's three upright petals symbolize faith, valor and wisdom. With its majestic purple hues and soaring slender stem, this dignified and graceful flower dates back to Ancient Greece.
Iris, an ambiguous color ranging from blue-violet to violet, from the flower of the same name.
Iris, the sphincter around the pupil of the eye, named for the colors in human and animal eyes.
- Famous real-life people named Iris: | Edit
Iris Tree (1897–1968), an English poet and actress, described as a bohemian, eccentric, wit and adventuress.
Iris Shun-Ru Chang (張純如) (1968–2004), an American historian and journalist best known for her 1997 account of the Nanking Massacre, "The Rape of Nanking."
Dame (Jean) Iris Murdoch (1919–1999) was an Irish-born English author and philosopher, best known for her stories regarding ethical and sexual themes.
Iris DeMent (1961- ), American folk musician.
Iris Apatow - daughter of director Judd Apatow and actress Leslie Mann, child actor in "Knocked Up" and "Funny People".
- Iris in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Iris" (myth) is depicted by a masquer in "The Tempest," a play by William Shakespeare, probably written in 1610–11.
"Irises," a painting of iris flowers by Vincent Van Gogh.
"Iris," a game created to promote the video game Halo 3.
"Iris," an Italian movie TV channel.
"Iris," a 2001 movie based on the life of writer Iris Murdoch.
"When Iris Sleeps Over", song by The Breeders.
Iris Allen, married to The Flash in DC Comics
"Iris" is the name of a popular song by "The Goo Goo Dolls."
Name Lists Featuring Iris
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain, 2010
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden, 2010
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (Italian), 2010
- Portuguese Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Portugal