Violet: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Violet
Origin of the name Violet:
From the Old French violette, a diminutive form of viole, which is derived from the Latin viola (a violet). The name has been in use since the Middle Ages but did not become common until the middle of the 19th century when the use of flower names came into vogue.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know a Violet? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Violet
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
Contribute your knowledge to the name Violet
- Comments and insights on the name Violet: | Edit
We named our daughter Violet after the Afflecks did, but we were actually inspired by the Incredibles. The celeb baby namesake is a little disappointing, but our Violet probably won't run in the same circles with the Afflecks, so we're probably okay. Her nickname is Vie (as in "c'est la vie") - French for life and sounds sweet.
- Personal experiences with the name Violet: | Edit
* My daughter is named Violet, which was wonderful until Ben Affleck decided to give his kid the same name. I can't tell you how many times people say "Oh! Like Ben Affleck." Grrrr. *Edited to say that the association doesn't happen that much anymore, but did a lot when Affleck's kid & my daughter were both babies. My main problem with that is I gave my daughter an uncommon name on purpose. I think once a celebrity chooses a name for their child, it becomes trendy and a couple of years later everyone else decides to use it. That's exactly what I didn't want for my child. It's not uncommon to hear Violet in NYC, where I live, but I would really hate to see it in the top 100.
* I have a new baby named Violet, and haven't received much of the Affleck feedback. Most people ask if it is a family name, as it is still very uncommon here in the Midwestern U.S. As the name gains popularity, I think the Affleck connection will fade. We also received a lot of purple clothing and potted violets when she was born, which we really liked.
* We named our daughter Violet because both my husband and I were born in the month of February and it is the flower for that month. It is also the color of our birthstone (Amethyst) and my favorite color (which was one of our colors when we got married. LOL!). It wasn't until after that everyone told us it was the name of the Affleck kid. We also received a lot of purple clothes for her and potted violet plants. :D
* My name is Violet. When I was in elementary school I really hated the name. A lot of people would try to give me stupid nicknames like Purple, Flower, and Violence. Luckily none of them ever caught on. However, I was also pretty impartial to the more common nicknames such as Vi or Violetta. My mother named me Violet because it was the name of her grandmother. I do think it's an old-fashioned name, but now that I'm older I really like it. A lot of people tell me it's very unique, and even 'edgy'. When Ben Affleck named his kid Violet I was actually more amused than bothered. It's pretty rare for me to come across someone else named Violet, so I thought it was pretty cool a celebrity child shared the name.
my middle name is Violet. I was named after my great grandma on my dads side who actually passed away the day my parents were married. she hated the name and went by her middle name. Mae, but I love it. even though I've never met her I've always felt a really strong connection to her.
- Nicknames for Violet: | Edit
Letty, Lettie, Letta, Vi, V, Vie, Violetta, Viva, Vivi (vee-vee), Viola, Vio-Latte, Ultra-Violet, Viley
- Meanings and history of the name Violet: | Edit
Violet, from the name of the flower (Old French 'violette'. Late Latin 'violetta'. A diminutive of 'viola'.) As a flower, Violet has a variety of meanings: Love; Modesty; Virtue; Affection; Faithfulness ("I'll always be true") and a Good Luck symbol for women. Violets can be either violet or white. The violet is February's birth flower.
Violet is a spectral color, near indigo in the rainbow. Though based on experience in the early 2000's, people respond as though they are reminded of a flower.
The purple violet is the sorority flower of Alpha Delta Pi, Sigma Kappa, and Sigma Sigma Sigma. Zeta Tau Alpha's flower is the white violet.
The color violet was named after the flower - first being recorded as a color name in English in 1370. The color violet has many symbolic meanings, such as: in Chinese painting, violet represents the harmony of the Universe because it is a combination of red (yang) and blue (yin); in Western churches violet is the liturgical color for both Advent and lent.
Violet was one of the earliest flower names to be used as a first name. Violette occurred as a personal name in the south of France in the Middle Ages. By the 16th C it was fairly common in Scotland, through French influence, and continued to be used there. In England Violet was used as early as 1700, becoming well established in the 19th century. By the 1830s Violet was in general use in both the U.S. and Britain. Violet was a top 100 name in the US from 1901-1926 and fashionable in Britain during the same time period.
The early run of the name was probably begun by Lord Lytton's highly successful novel "The Sea Captain" (1839) in which Violet is the heroine.
- Famous real-life people named Violet: | Edit
Violet Oakley - American artist
Violet Anne Affleck - daughter of American actors Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner
- Violet in song, story & screen: | Edit
Violet Crawley, Dowager Countess of Grantham from British TV show Downton Abbey
Violet Harmon, a character in the FX TV show American Horror Story
Violet Baudelaire, character in the book series A Series of Unfortunate Events
Violet, a character in The Boxcar Children series
Violet Parr, a character from the movie The Incredibles
Violet Anne Bickerstaff, Screech's girlfriend on the American show Saved By the Bell
Violet Turner, character on the American TV show Private Practice
Violet Nottingham, character in the movie Bedtime Stories
Violet Beauregard, character in the book and movie Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Violet Bick, character in the movie It's a Wonderful Life
Violet, a character in the Peanuts comic strip