Abby Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Abby:
Short form of Abigail, which is derived from the Hebrew avigayil (father of exaltation, father is rejoicing).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Abby? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Abby
Contribute your knowledge to the name Abby
- Comments and insights on the name Abby: | Edit
A nice name for an Abyssinian cat.
- Personal experiences with the name Abby: | Edit
I have a sister named Abby, short for Abigail. How Beautiful!
way too popular i would go with Abba as a close 2nd if you really wanted a name like this
My name is Abby, and it's NOT short for Abigail. I hate it when people say my full name is Abigail. When it isn't. It's just Abby. Anyway, Abby is a great name.
- Nicknames for Abby: | Edit
Abb's, Abbie, Ab, Abs, Abba, Ay-Bee, Bee, Absta,
- Meanings and history of the name Abby: | Edit
From Abigail, meaning Joy of the Father
- Famous real-life people named Abby: | Edit
Abby Leigh, model
- Abby in song, story & screen: | Edit
Abbey Road- Beatles Album
Abby Sciuto, NCIS character
Abby, main character in the movie "Bad Night"