Abigail: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Abigail
Origin of the name Abigail:
From the Hebrew Avigayil, which is derived from avigayil (father of exaltation, father is rejoicing). The name was borne in the Bible by one of the wives of King David. Tha name also took on the meaning of "a lady's maid," due in part to its use as the name of a maid in the play The Scornful Lady, by Beaumont and Fletcher, in 1616.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Abigail? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Abigail
- Comments and insights on the name Abigail: | Edit
My name is Abigail. I don't really like it, but I'm generally called Abi. This seems like the most sensible spelling to me, because it's just Abigail with four letters taken off.
I love this name!
My name happens to be Abigail but I am known as Abby and I HATE it when people spell Abby "Abbi, Abbie, Abbye, or Abbiy." It's annoying.
My name is Abigail, my nickname is Abbie, and it makes me very unhappy when EVERYONE assumes that I spell it Abby! I guess we just wants our names spelled the way we own them. :)
Reminds me of "A big gal"
Our daughter's name is Abigail Grace and we get a lot of compliments on her name. We like that it is a biblical name, but does not sound out of date or too old-fashioned.
My name is Abigail. I'm fifteen... I get a lot of teasing about Taylor Swift and her best friend Abigail. I LOVE Taylor swift, so that's not too big a deal. It does get old hearing people sing "Back then I swore I was gonna marry him someday but I realized some bigger dreams of mine/and Abigail gave everything she had to a boy who changed his mind/ we both cried." ... I'm sure it doesn't help that I"m fifteen, and the song is called "Fifteen." :) Either way, I love my name! I'm one of the only Abigails I know who goes by Abigail, not Abby, and I love that. :)
My little sister is Abigail,but she goes by Abbie. Personally I think the ie gives it a much softer, feminine tone. I think the name is really pretty too.
I think it's a really nice name, especially for a girl with freckles.
- Personal experiences with the name Abigail: | Edit
My cousin just named her twins Abigail Michele and Max Anthony. Although I don't like michelle with only one "l", I really like the way "Max and Abby" sounds.
Inspired by the previous post, I am good friends with a pair of very nice twins named Abigail and Nathaniel, or Abby and Nate.
My name is Abigail. I really like it but hate being called Abby. When I introduce myself, people ask, "Do you go by Abigail or Abby?" I say, "Abigail," and then they call me Abby forever after! Almost everyone calls me Abby, no matter my preference. If I *must* be called Abby, then I like the truncated spelling Abi, as the full form Abigail has only one 'b' and no 'y's at all. Also, no one seems to be able to spell my name. The most common misspelling I see is Abagail.
- Nicknames for Abigail: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Abigail: | Edit
This is the name of two women in the Bible, featured in the book of Samuel and the books of Chronicles. The more famous Abigail was one of the wives of King David, renowned for her wisdom and courage. The name Abigail means "father's joy" in Hebrew.
- Famous real-life people named Abigail: | Edit
Abigail Adams, First Lady, wife of John Adams and mother of John Quincy Adams
Abigail Breslin, actress
Abigail May Alcott, mother of Louisa May Alcott and model for "Marmee" in the novel Little Women.
Abigail Powers Fillmore, First Lady and wife of Millard Fillmore
Abigail van Buren, writer of Dear Abby column in newspapers
Abigail and Brittany Hensel, conjoined twins
Abigail is a traditional name in the Hawaiian royal House of Kawananakoa. Among others, it has been borne by Princess Abigail Kapiolani, Princess Abigail Wahiikaahuula, High Chiefess Abigail Kuaihelani Maipinepine Kalaikini Campbell Parker, and the current heir to the throne, Princess Abigail Kinoiki Kekaulike III Kawānanakoa.
- Abigail in song, story & screen: | Edit
Abigail Wendover is the name of the heroine in "The Black Sheep" by Georgette Heyer
"Little Abigail and the Beautiful Pony," poem by Shel Silverstein
"Abigail," song by the Broken West
Abby Sciuto, character on the TV show NCIS
Abby Lockheart, character on the TV show ER
Abigail "Abby" Morgan, character on the TV series Dawson's Creek
Name Lists Featuring Abigail
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (British Columbia)
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Alberta)
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Saskatchewan)
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Ontario)
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand, 2010
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland, 2011
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Alberta), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (British Columbia), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Saskatchewan), 2010