Addison: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Addison
Origin of the name Addison:
Transferred use of the surname derived from the Middle English Addisone (son of Addy).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Addison? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Addison
- Comments and insights on the name Addison: | Edit
Traditional names that end in "son" always mean "Son of". Addison is a traditional name.
My problem with the name Addison, is that I have Addison's disease, which is very real and very awful. It's like naming a baby Asthma, Diabetes, or Polio as far as I'm concerned. Frankly, I just don't get it.
The name Addison is #9 on the list of top 100 cool baby girl names in the baby name book "Cool Names" by Pamela Redmond Satran and Linda Rosenkrantz.
I don't get Addison, it is like Madison spelt wrong, and reminds me of Adidas. Sorry thumbs down for this one.
Our youngest daughter's name is Addison. It was a very unusual name when she was a child. Everyone always commented on how much they loved the name!
Soon, I started seeing more and more people using the name. She still gets compliments on her name even though it has become so popular.
Love this name, and where I live in Canada its still pretty unique
- Personal experiences with the name Addison: | Edit
I have a 6 year old stepdaughter and her name is Addisen.. We call her Addi for a nickname..
So my 3 year old daughter's name is Adyson. It is a unique name that I haven't heard very often. I fell in love more with the spelling than the name at first. When I first thought of it I tried different ways to spell it. I was looking for unique without being over the top. At first I cringed when anybody called her Ady but now it fits. I mostly call her Adyson but most of our family and friends call her Ady. Not only did I end up falling in love with the name but the way it went with her middle name. Adyson Marianna. It's strong yet femine.
- Nicknames for Addison: | Edit
Addie, Addy, Addi, Ads, Abbie,
- Meanings and history of the name Addison: | Edit
Addison is an English surname meaning "son of Adam".
- Famous real-life people named Addison: | Edit
Addison Timlin (born 1991) - American actress
Addison T. Smith - 10-term Idaho congressman
Joseph Addison Alexander - American biblical scholar
Levi Addison Ault - "Father of Cincinnati Parks"
Addison Whittaker Richards, Jr. - American actor of film and television
Addison Bain - retired NASA scientist and founding member of the National Hydrogen Association who is credited with postulating the Incendiary-Paint Theory
Addison W. "King" Kelly - an American football and baseball player
Ernest Addison Moody - a noted philosopher, medievalist, and logician as well as a musician and scientist
- Addison in song, story & screen: | Edit
Dr. Addison Forbes Montgomery, character on Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice.
Addison Corday, ex prostitute and victim of serial killer, in the movie "Saw".
Addison's disease is a rare endocrine disease. John F. Kennedy suffered from it.
Name Lists Featuring Addison
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Saskatchewan)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand, 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Alberta), 2010