Addison Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Addison:
Transferred use of the surname derived from the Middle English Addisone (son of Addy).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Addison? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Addison
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand, 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Alberta), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Saskatchewan) for 2012
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales) for 2012
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria) for 2012
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand for 2012
Contribute your knowledge to the name Addison
- Comments and insights on the name Addison: | Edit
LOVE the name Addison, our daughters full name is Addison Brock.
- Personal experiences with the name Addison: | Edit
I have a 6 year old stepdaughter and her name is Addisen.. We call her Addi for a nickname..
So my 3 year old daughter's name is Adyson. It is a unique name that I haven't heard very often. I fell in love more with the spelling than the name at first. When I first thought of it I tried different ways to spell it. I was looking for unique without being over the top. At first I cringed when anybody called her Ady but now it fits. I mostly call her Adyson but most of our family and friends call her Ady. Not only did I end up falling in love with the name but the way it went with her middle name. Adyson Marianna. It's strong yet femine.
This was one of my favorite boy names before the trend started changing it to a girl's name. It's unfortunate how much it caught on. I still think it works better as a boy's name (Addison DeWitt in All About Eve, for instance).
- Nicknames for Addison: | Edit
Addie, Addy, Addi, Ads, Abbie,
- Meanings and history of the name Addison: | Edit
Addison is an English surname meaning "son of Adam".
From an English surname meaning "son of ADAM". Its recent popularity as a feminine name stems from its similarity in sound to Madison.
- Famous real-life people named Addison: | Edit
Addison Timlin (born 1991) - American actress
Addison T. Smith - 10-term Idaho congressman
Joseph Addison Alexander - American biblical scholar
Levi Addison Ault - "Father of Cincinnati Parks"
Addison Whittaker Richards, Jr. - American actor of film and television
Addison Bain - retired NASA scientist and founding member of the National Hydrogen Association who is credited with postulating the Incendiary-Paint Theory
Addison W. "King" Kelly - an American football and baseball player
Ernest Addison Moody - a noted philosopher, medievalist, and logician as well as a musician and scientist
Addison Moffet - Dancer & Youtuber. Abby Lee Dance Company Dancer. KalaniAddy is her YouTube channel with her best friend Kalani Hilliker
- Addison in song, story & screen: | Edit
Dr. Addison Forbes Montgomery, character on Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice.
Addison Corday, ex prostitute and victim of serial killer, in the movie "Saw".
Addison's disease is a rare endocrine disease. John F. Kennedy suffered from it.
Addison DeWitt, male character in All About Eve