Adriana Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Adriana:
Feminine form of Adrien, which is from the Latin Adriānus (from the city of Adria) and Hadriānus (from the city of Hadria). Var: Adrian, Adriana, Adriann, Adrianne, Adrienn. Pet: Addi, Addie, Addy.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Adriana? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Adriana
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain 2014
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain, 2010
- Portuguese Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Portugal 2012
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain 2012
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain
Contribute your knowledge to the name Adriana
- Comments and insights on the name Adriana: | Edit
Usage: Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Romanian, Polish, Czech, Slovak, English ,Persian
Adriana and Ariadna are anagrams of each other; they contain the same letters.
- Personal experiences with the name Adriana: | Edit
My name is Adriana. I like my name bcause i think it has personality and it adds a lot of "flavor" to a person! For example, I consider myself very favorful! hehe. I think it is somewhat common in Puerto Rico (where I live), for i know many Adrianas . (at least 10) , but I do not think it is very common in the continental U.S.A. The only problem is that it is very hard for americans to pronounce my name the way I usually pronounce it ( a-dri-ANA). They can only pronounce it (EI-dri-ana) . That is the only problem I have with my name. Otherwise, I am very content with it and encourage and support all other Adriana or potential Adriana's out there!
* My daughter's name is Adrianna.
This name is very much loved by Iranians.
This name is registered in Iran in 2017.
- Nicknames for Adriana: | Edit
Ana & Ani.
- Meanings and history of the name Adriana: | Edit
I have read several times now that the name comes from the inhabitants of "Adria" (just as mentioned above, under "origin"). the toponym, however, derives from the latin word "ater", meaning "black". so we could conclude the name means "dark" or "the dark one". other sites include "wealthy" and "rich" as other possible complementary meanings.
*Adriana in Persian means "brilliant and beautiful love".
Feminine form of ADRIAN
- Famous real-life people named Adriana: | Edit
Adriana Lima (Brazilian model)
Adriana Barraza (Mexican actress)
- Adriana in song, story & screen: | Edit
Adriana La Cerva, character on the Sopranos
Adriana, character in Shakespeare's 'Comedy of Errors' (Wife to Antipholus of Ephesus)
"Adriana LeCouvreur," opera by Cilea
"Pretty Little Adriana" by Vince Gill