Alara Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Alara? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Alara
Contribute your knowledge to the name Alara
- Comments and insights on the name Alara: | Edit
When naming our future daughter on a road trip my husband suggested this name and I loved it.
My hubby and I named our daughter Alara in 1997 when I was pregnant. At the time we sort of made it up as a variation of the name Alana. There wasn't really anything on this name at the time and I could not find it in baby books. Of course the internet wasn't what it is now. About 10 years ago I started looking it up again and was surprised to see more info out there. Our daughter has loved growing up with this unique name even if it is mis pronounced by people. The most common mistake is A-Laura...when its actually pronounced Uh-lar-uh
- Personal experiences with the name Alara: | Edit
My husband and I came up with this name thinking we were being original and a varient on Lara about two years prior to conception. Around 6 months pregnant I googled the name and found out the true origin and meaning. We named our daughter Alara (ah-lah-rah) but most people say Ah-lare-ah.
- Nicknames for Alara: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Alara: | Edit
Several origins of Alara exist:
1. German: Ruler of all.
2. Turkish: A mythological Altaic water fairy. This version originates from east of the Caspian Sea where the Turks migrated from westwards into Anatolian peninsula. Usage as a girls name dates back to the 9th century. Alara is a ubiquitous girls name in Turkey.
Alara means: 'Al' colour brightness and 'ara' 'she who speaks from the heart' or 'what makes the heart beautiful'. So the Turkish (the names origin is from Turkey and Persia) baby name book describes the meaning as one who brings brightness and happiness to the soul, to the heart. ."Alara was a King of Kush, who's regarded as the founder of the Napatan royal dynasty. Alara Kalama was a hermit saint and a yoga teacher. There is the Alara Castle, which is a medieval castle in southern Turkey.
- Famous real-life people named Alara: | Edit
Alara Ceri is an actress and producer, known for Needlestick (2017), All Things Fall Apart (2011) and Come Together (2014).
- Alara in song, story & screen: | Edit
- Share what you know!