Alaska Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Alaska? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Alaska
Contribute your knowledge to the name Alaska
- Comments and insights on the name Alaska: | Edit
My kid is named aalaska
My name is Alaska and I love it because its so unique!!
- Personal experiences with the name Alaska: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Nicknames for Alaska: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Alaska: | Edit
From the Aleut aleyska, meaning "the mainland" or literally "the object toward which the action of the sea is directed."
"that which breaks against the shore."
Another meaning for the name Alaska is "great land" as Alaska is the 49th state of America.
From the name of the US state, which is derived from an Aleut phrase meaning "Object to which the action of the sea is directed".
- Famous real-life people named Alaska: | Edit
Alaska, pageant girl on TLC's "Toddlers & Tiaras"
Alaska, RPDR season 5 runner up, All Stars season 2 winner
- Alaska in song, story & screen: | Edit
Alaska Young, the eponymous tragic hero of John Green's "Looking for Alaska"