Alba Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Alba? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Alba
- Danish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Denmark 2014
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain 2014
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain, 2010
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain 2012
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain
- Catalonian Girls Names: Most Popular Girls Names in Catalonia
- Andorran Girls Names: Most Popular Girls Names in Andorra
Contribute your knowledge to the name Alba
- Comments and insights on the name Alba: | Edit
I must confess I named my daughter Alba because my husband and I both loved "The Time Traveler's Wife" also because it's a really cute name for a little girl and not common.
PRONOUNCED: AHL-bah (Italian, Spanish), AHL-bə (Catalan)
- Personal experiences with the name Alba: | Edit
We named our daughter this. Only afterwards I realized it was the same name used in the "Time Travelers Wife" movie/book. We fell in love with this name after we heard the meaning of it.
- Nicknames for Alba: | Edit
Ali, Al, Albie, the name itself can be a nickname for Alberta
- Meanings and history of the name Alba: | Edit
Alba is the gaelic name for ancient Scotland. Alba in Latin means "bright, white", but was also a place name in Roman Italy, for example Alba in Piemonte which is probably the most famous one (for it's truffles and wine), or Alba Fucens (now only a historical site) in Abruzzo.
Alba in Italian means "dawn".
Alba means "white pearl"
This name is derived from two distinct names, with distinct origins, Latin and Germanic. Over time these names have become confused with one another. To further complicate the matter, alba means "dawn" in Italian, Spanish and Catalan. This may be the main inspiration behind its use in Italy and Spain.
Feminine form of ALBUS
Originally a short form of Germanic names beginning with the element alf meaning "elf".
- Famous real-life people named Alba: | Edit
Celebrity Actress Jessica Alba (Is it her last name).
Alba María Cabello, Olympic silver and bronze medalist in synchronized swimming (2008; 2012)
Alba Flores, spanish actress, best known for playing the role of "Nairóbi" in Money Heist (La Casa de Papel)
- Alba in song, story & screen: | Edit
Alba is the daughter of Clare and Henry in "The Time Traveler's Wife"(both the book and the film).
Alba Silvius (m), character in Roman Mythology
Bernarda Alba, title character in 2006 musical Bernarda Alba