Alessa Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Alexa:
A short form of Alexandra (defender or helper of mankind), Alexa is also bestowed as an independent given name and is thus derived from the Greek alexein (to defend, to help).
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Alessa? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Alessa
Contribute your knowledge to the name Alessa
- Comments and insights on the name Alessa: | Edit
My mother decided to name me Alessa when she read a magazine article about someone named Alessandra; she just dropped the "ndra". I believe it is the Italian version of the name Alexa.
- Personal experiences with the name Alessa: | Edit
People mispronounce it very often, either saying Alexa, Alyssa, Alexia, Alessia, etc. It is pronounced "uh-less-uh".
- Nicknames for Alessa: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Alessa: | Edit
Pet form of Italian Alessandra, meaning "defender of mankind"
Short form of ALESSANDRA
- Famous real-life people named Alessa: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Alessa in song, story & screen: | Edit
Alessa Gillespie in the video game series Silent Hill.