Alexandra: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Alexandra
Origin of the name Alexandra:
Derived from the Greek Alexandros, a male compound name composed of the elements alexein (to defend, to help) and andros (man).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Alexandra? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Alexandra
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- Chilean Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Chile
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec)
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
- Hungarian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Hungary
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain, 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec), 2010
- Portuguese Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Portugal
Contribute your knowledge to the name Alexandra
- Comments and insights on the name Alexandra: | Edit
An absolute classic, posh and princess-y
Based on research, most people would imagine a person with the name Alexandra to be: Attractive and elegant woman. In one word, you might describe Alexandra as an "attractive" person.
- Personal experiences with the name Alexandra: | Edit
My name is Alexandra and I have never - and will never - go by any nicknames. I love my name. I would like to see more people go by the whole thing "Alexandra", but then again, maybe it wouldn't be as special :)
My name is Alexandra but I go by Alex or Ally- very rarely Lexie. I think it is feminine and pretty but I never particularly liked my name because it seems fairly common, I always wished I had a beautiful Gaelic or Italian name.
My sister's name is Alixandra, with an I. She goes by Alix or Ally.
I have a funny, spunky, sweet little daughter named Alexandra. She either goes by her full name or the nn: Alex. I like that it's sophisticated.. but has a spunky nickname.
Alexandra is my middle name and I adore it. Its feminine, but very strong; regal, but hardly stuffy.
Alexandra is my name and I love it! Its classic, beautiful, and has so many nicknames. I go by Alex and Ali.
My father was of Greek descent and wanted one of his children to have a name that reflected the heritage. My mother agreed on Alexandra after reviewing a list of other Greek names. At the time (1971), Alexandra was not particularly popular. I think that the name sounds sophisticated and elegant. However, I find that when I introduce myself as Alexandra without providing my nickname, people will automatically call me Alex.
My name is Alexandra, and I have never gone by any nicknames, either. Everyone tried (and still does try) to call me Lexi, Allie, Alex, et cetera, but I'd always insist that my name was Alexandra and they would (usually) stop. As I got older, I started to not like my name because I didn't think it was pretty, but once I realized how great the person I'm named after (Alexandra Feodorovna) was and that it is one of the oldest Greek names out there, I loved it. The only downside would be that sometimes people hear Alexandria instead of Alexandra, which annoys me to death, but I still believe it's a great name.
My full name is Alexandra Grey Witt, and most people don't even know it. I have been called Lexi since I was born, but my parents call me Sasha too. They choose it because of a friend named Christy, who got mad if people called her Chrissy, but people never remembered which it was. Sometimes I wish I was named Alexandria so I could go by Andria, or Andrea. Even though it is not my real name, it annoys me when people call me Alexi, or spell it Lexie. I also don't really like it when people call me Alexandra to annoy me. But over all, I love my name!
- Nicknames for Alexandra: | Edit
Al, Allie/Ally, Alix/Alex, Alexa, Alesya, Alina, Alisa, Lexi, Lexa, Lex, Xandra, Xan, Sandra, Sandy, Sasha, Andi, Andra
- Meanings and history of the name Alexandra: | Edit
Greek origin: "protector or helper of mankind"
21. April (Holy Patron: "Alexandra of Egypt"). Her story began with a young man who fell in love with her, although feeling was not mutual. One could say this is a problem but not for Alexandra. In order not to offend, she buried herself so that the lecherous young man wouldn't suffer, nor had the feeling of being rejected by her. And there she remained sealed from the human eye, with only a tiny window and occupied herself with spiritual reflection and prayer.
- Famous real-life people named Alexandra: | Edit
Alexandra Lisowska, also known as Roxelana and Hurrem Sultan, was the legal wife and haseki sultan of Suleiman the Magnificent. She was one of the most powerful women in Ottoman history and a prominent figure during the era known as the Sultanate of Women. She achieved power and influenced the politics of the Ottoman Empire through her husband and played an active role in state affairs of the Empire.
Alexandra Feodorovna, the last Empress consort of the Russian Empire.
Princess Alexandra of Kent, Princess of Kent.
Alexandra of Denmark, Queen consort of the United Kingdom and Empress of India.
Princess Alexandra of Luxembourg, Princess of Luxembourg.
Princess Alexandra of Hanover, Princess of Monaco.
Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg, a member of the Danish Royal Family as the wife of Prince Joachim of Denmark.
Alexandra Chando, American actress.
Alexandra Daddario, American actress.
Alexandra Breckenridge, American actress.
Alexandra du Bois, American composer.
Alexandra Kraft, American pianist and composer.
Alexandra Cohen, American figure skater.
Alexandra Crandell, American fashion model and television personality.
Alexandra Morgan, US Women's National Soccer Player, Model
Alexandra Krieger, US Women's National Soccer Player
- Alexandra in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Alexandra Leaving", song by Leonard Cohen
"Alexandra", song by Hamilton Leithauser
Alexandra "Hurrem", character in the historical TV series "The Magnificent Century" (played by Meryem Uzerli)
Alexandra "Alex" Hunter, character in the US TV series "White Collar" (played by Gloria Votsis)
Alexandra Cabot, character from "Josie & the Pussycats"
Alexandra Russo, character in "Wizards of Waverly Place"
Alexandra Rousseau, character on TV show "Lost"
Alexandra Cabot, "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" character
Alexandra Blake, character on the TV show "Criminal Minds"
Alexandra White, competitor on E! reality show "Bridalplasty"
Alexandra, Anastasia's mother in the movie "Anastasia"
Alexandra "Lexie" Grey, (played by Chyler Leigh) in "Grey's Anatomy"
Alexandra, daughter of Cinderella & the Prince (Once Upon A Time)
Alexandra "Sasha" Andrews, "Zoya" character (Danielle Steel)
Alexandra Cahill, character on TV show "Walker, Texas Ranger"