Alexandra Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Alexandra:
Derived from the Greek Alexandros, a male compound name composed of the elements alexein (to defend, to help) and andros (man).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Alexandra? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Alexandra
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales) 2014
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria) 2014
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand 2014
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland 2014
- Finnish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Finland 2014
- Hungarian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Hungary 2014
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain, 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec) for 2012
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec) for 2012
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland for 2012
- Chilean Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Chile 2010
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales) for 2012
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria) for 2012
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand for 2012
- Portuguese Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Portugal 2012
- Hungarian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Hungary 2010
- Romanian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Romania 2014
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
- Icelandic Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Iceland
- Hungarian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Hungary
- Romanian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Romania
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
Contribute your knowledge to the name Alexandra
- Comments and insights on the name Alexandra: | Edit
The name Alexandra is very posh and princessy. It means "helper/leader of mankind". When people think of the name they usually think of a beautiful princess.
- Personal experiences with the name Alexandra: | Edit
I love my name, Alexandra. My family, and now close friends, call me Andra. I have a brother, Mackenzie, who I call Kenzie or Kenz. I love how it's not the usual Alex and Mac! I do also go by Alex and Andi and sometimes by my last name. I usually go by the full length Alexandra though.
My name is Alexandra and I have never - and will never - go by any nicknames. I love my name. I would like to see more people go by the whole thing "Alexandra", but then again, maybe it wouldn't be as special :)
My name is Alexandra but I go by Alex or Ally- very rarely Lexie. I think it is feminine and pretty but I never particularly liked my name because it seems fairly common, I always wished I had a beautiful Gaelic or Italian name.
My sister's name is Alixandra, with an I. She goes by Alix or Ally.
I have a funny, spunky, sweet little daughter named Alexandra. She either goes by her full name or the nn: Alex. I like that it's sophisticated.. but has a spunky nickname.
Alexandra is my middle name and I adore it. Its feminine, but very strong; regal, but hardly stuffy.
Alexandra is my name and I love it! Its classic, beautiful, and has so many nicknames. I go by Alex and Ali.
My father was of Greek descent and wanted one of his children to have a name that reflected the heritage. My mother agreed on Alexandra after reviewing a list of other Greek names. At the time (1971), Alexandra was not particularly popular. I think that the name sounds sophisticated and elegant. However, I find that when I introduce myself as Alexandra without providing my nickname, people will automatically call me Alex.
My name is Alexandra, and I have never gone by any nicknames, either. Everyone tried (and still does try) to call me Lexi, Allie, Alex, et cetera, but I'd always insist that my name was Alexandra and they would (usually) stop. As I got older, I started to not like my name because I didn't think it was pretty, but once I realized how great the person I'm named after (Alexandra Feodorovna) was and that it is one of the oldest Greek names out there, I loved it. The only downside would be that sometimes people hear Alexandria instead of Alexandra, which annoys me to death, but I still believe it's a great name.
My full name is Alexandra Grey Witt, and most people don't even know it. I have been called Lexi since I was born, but my parents call me Sasha too. They choose it because of a friend named Christy, who got mad if people called her Chrissy, but people never remembered which it was. Sometimes I wish I was named Alexandria so I could go by Andria, or Andrea. Even though it is not my real name, it annoys me when people call me Alexi, or spell it Lexie. I also don't really like it when people call me Alexandra to annoy me. But over all, I love my name!
Hi, my name is Alexandra. I love my name but I hate getting called Alexandria, I like getting called nicknames if they say my nickname sometimes. I keep getting sai to how pretty my name is and it makes my day.
My name is Alexandra Mary and I love my name. I hate being called, Alex, Ally, Al etc. because that just isn't me! When I was younger I went by Alex in school because it was easier for teachers to remember. The worst thing a about my name is when people presume I want to be called Alex and just call me that and then having to correct them! It's a bit of a long name and sometimes hard for little ones to pronounce so sometimes get "Sandra". Never been called Alexandria by mistake but get Alexander which is odd because I don't think I look masculine ahaha. I know heaps of other Alexandra's my age that all go by Alex and hate their name, but they were all called Alex at home while they were growing up and I wasn't. I say name your kid what ever you want to call them, even if it is a bit masculine or usually a nick name! Overall, love my name and wouldn't ever think to change it!
My name is Aleksandra, the Russian version, although it´s pronounced almost the same. Mine is alek-sahn-dra and English is alex-ann-dra. I think both are beautiful!
Hi, my name is Alexandra, and I've always gone by the nickname "Alex". Family and close friends, however, call me "Ally". When I was a little girl, I was obsessed with the movie Monster's Inc., so my big brother always called me "Ally-Boo" (in reference to the little girl in the movie). I absolutely love my full name- it sounds very elegant and sophisticated! I hate it though, when others mistake me for an "Alexandria" or "Alexis".
- Nicknames for Alexandra: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Alexandra: | Edit
Greek origin: "protector or helper of mankind"
21. April (Holy Patron: "Alexandra of Egypt"). Her story began with a young man who fell in love with her, although feeling was not mutual. One could say this is a problem but not for Alexandra. In order not to offend, she buried herself so that the lecherous young man wouldn't suffer, nor had the feeling of being rejected by her. And there she remained sealed from the human eye, with only a tiny window and occupied herself with spiritual reflection and prayer.
Feminine form of ALEXANDER. In Greek mythology this was a Mycenaean epithet of the goddess Hera, and an alternate name of Cassandra. It was borne by several early Christian saints, and also by the wife of Nicholas II, the last czar of Russia. She was from Germany and had the birth name Alix, but was renamed Александра (Aleksandra) upon joining the Russian Church.
- Famous real-life people named Alexandra: | Edit
Alexandra Lisowska, also known as Roxelana and Hurrem Sultan, was the legal wife and haseki sultan of Suleiman the Magnificent. She was one of the most powerful women in Ottoman history and a prominent figure during the era known as the Sultanate of Women. She achieved power and influenced the politics of the Ottoman Empire through her husband and played an active role in state affairs of the Empire.
Alexandra Feodorovna, the last Empress consort of the Russian Empire.
Princess Alexandra of Kent, Princess of Kent.
Alexandra of Denmark, Queen consort of the United Kingdom and Empress of India.
Princess Alexandra of Luxembourg, Princess of Luxembourg.
Princess Alexandra of Hanover, Princess of Monaco.
Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg, a member of the Danish Royal Family as the wife of Prince Joachim of Denmark.
Alexandra Chando, American actress.
Alexandra Daddario, American actress.
Alexandra Breckenridge, American actress.
Alexandra du Bois, American composer.
Alexandra Kraft, American pianist and composer.
Alexandra Cohen, American figure skater.
Alexandra Crandell, American fashion model and television personality.
Alexandra Morgan, US Women's National Soccer Player and Model
Alexandra Krieger, US Women's National Soccer Player
Sigourney Weaver (a.k.a. Alexandra), actress
Alexandra Maria Lara (1978- ), actress
Alexandra David-Néel (1868-1969), explorer
June Croft (a.k.a Alexandra), Olympic silver and bronze medalist in swimming (1980; 1984)
Alexandra Eremia, Olympic gold and bronze medalist in artistic gymnastics (2004)
Sasha Cohen (a.k.a. Alexandra), Olympic silver medalist in figure skating (2006)
Alex Danson (a.k.a Alexandra), Olympic bronze medalist in field hockey (2012)
Alex Morgan (a.k.a Alexandra), Olympic gold medalist in soccer (2012)
Alexandra Raisman, Olympic gold and bronze medalist in artistic gymnastics (2012)
Alexandra Carpenter, Olympic silver medalist in ice hockey (2014)
Saint Alexandra (?-300)
Alexandra Park, Australian Actress
- Alexandra in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Alexandra Leaving", song by Leonard Cohen
"Alexandra", song by Hamilton Leithauser
Alexandra "Alex" Hunter, character in the US TV series "White Collar" (played by Gloria Votsis)
Alexandra Cabot, character from "Josie & the Pussycats"
Alexandra Russo, character in "Wizards of Waverly Place"
Alexandra Rousseau, character on TV show "Lost"
Alexandra Cabot, "Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" character
Alexandra Blake, character on the TV show "Criminal Minds"
Alexandra White, competitor on E! reality show "Bridalplasty"
Alexandra "Lexie" Grey, (played by Chyler Leigh) in "Grey's Anatomy"
Alexandra, daughter of Cinderella & the Prince (Once Upon A Time)
Alexandra "Sasha" Andrews, "Zoya" character (Danielle Steel)
Alexandra Cahill, character on TV show "Walker, Texas Ranger"
Alexandra "Alex" Udinov, character on CW show "Nikita"