Alice: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Alice
Origin of the name Alice:
A name that has evolved through a series of variants of the Germanic Adalheidis, a compound name composed of the elements adal (noble, nobility) and heid (kind, sort): hence, "noble one." Adalheidis was contracted to Adalheid, which the French changed to Adelaide, then contracted to Adaliz, and contracted yet again to Aaliz, Alia, and Alix. The English then changed the spelling to Aeleis, Alys, and eventually to Alice.
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Alice? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Alice
- Comments and insights on the name Alice: | Edit
The name Alice appears on the comeback by the 100-year rule, and expect the name to rise further in popularity now with the Twilight series, as one of the main vampire characters in the popular series.
Other recent pop culture trends bringing the name back into cool is the main character Alice from the Resident Evil film series, and the US metal band Alice in Chains.
Alice Springs is the Capitol city of the Northern Territory in the Australian Outback.
Beautiful, sweet name.
Fifteenth century variant, "Alys".
One of Shakespeare's crafty clever wives in the play The Merry Wives of Windsor is called Mistress Alice Ford.
Alice is an anagram of the name Celia.
- Personal experiences with the name Alice: | Edit
My daughter's name too, she was born this December and people always say it's not heard very much anymore.
My daughter's name! People regularly tell me that her name is lovely and that it's unusual without being "weird."
I am an Alyss "Alice" and I love my name. Even before people see the spelling they love how simple and yet unusual it is. The alternate spelling makes me so happy.
My name's Alycia and I was named for my Aunt Alice. Alycia is a nice name too, but I've always wished that I'd been named simply Alice instead. Alice is my top girl name at the moment!
Contrary to what all the above comments say about the name Alice being 'unusual', I think it is quite common. I love the name, it is sweet and classical, but I am at high school, and unfortunately there are soooo many Alices in my classes.
As a child in the 60s and 70s, I hated having "Alice" as my middle name because it seemed so unglamorous. On TV, any character called Alice was always an unattractive cleaning woman or something like that. But now I love the name, and my daughter (born in 2000) is called Alice, after my grandmother (born in 1900). The name is classical, classy, pretty... just perfect.
I love being Alice. As a child, adults I was introduced to routinely called me "Alison" immediately after being told my name was Alice, which used to annoy me and now just amuses me. There were many Alisons at my school, but the only other Alice moved there in middle school and was British. She's the only other Alice my age I've ever met.
My name is Alice and I hate my name! I wish I had been named Alicia or Alison or something like that! All of the Alice's I know are old ladies. I always ask my Mom if she had a choice between Alice, Agnes and Ethel! LOL It's such an old lady name. I would have rather been 1 of 10 Jennifer's in my class than the only Alice.
- Nicknames for Alice: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Alice: | Edit
From the Old French Aalis, a short form of the Germanic name Adalheidis, which was composed of the elements adal "noble" and heid "type". Alice became popular in both France and Britain in the 12th century.
Alice derives from the ancient greek word 'alethéia' which means 'truth'. That's why Alice means the truthful one.
5. February, 6. August, 19. November
- Famous real-life people named Alice: | Edit
Alice Roosevelt Longworth - American socialite and daughter of President Theodore Roosevelt
Alice Greczyn - American actress
Alice Sebold - American author
Alice Bunker Stockham - American suffragist
Alice Walker - American author
Alice Neel - American painter
Alice Munro - Canadian author
Alice Hamilton - Physician and authority on lead poisoning and industrial disease. The NIOSH present an award in her name.
- Alice in song, story & screen: | Edit
The title character in "Alice In Wonderland"
Alice Pleasance Liddell, the real girl who inspired "Alice in Wonderland"
The title character in the song "Alice's Restaurant"
Mistress Alice Ford, one the cunning wives in Shakespeare's comedy, "Merry Wives of Windsor"
Alice Hyatt, the title character in the 1974 film "Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore" and the spinoff '70s TV sitcom "Alice"
The humorous housekeeper on "The Brady Bunch"
The wife of Ralph Kramden on the TV show "The Honeymooners"
Alice Cullen of the Twilight books
A belligerent engineer in the comic strip "Dilbert"
"Alice Blue Gown," song from the musical IRENE, by Harry Tierney
Alice in Chains, 90's metal/grunge band
"Go Ask Alice", controversial 1971 book by an anonymous author.
Alice Cooper - Classic Rock band. Lead singer was born Vincent Damon Furnier in 1948, and after the band was formed, many took that to be his stage name. He ran with the idea.
"Alice, Sweet Alice" 1977 horror movie.
Roz's daughter's name in the tv sitcom 'Frasier'
"Alice" - a Woody Allen film
Name Lists Featuring Alice
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium (Flanders)
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland
- English and Welsh Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England and Wales
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Northern Ireland
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec)
- Italian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Italy
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria), 2010
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand, 2010
- Belgian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Belgium, 2008
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England, 2010
- French Girls Names: Most Popular Girls Names in France, 2010
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in the Republic of Ireland, 2010
- Italian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Italy, 2010
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland, 2011
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden, 2010
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (French), 2010
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (Italian), 2010
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec), 2010