Amanda Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Amanda:
Derived from the Latin amanda (lovable, worthy to be loved). Amanda originated as a literary coinage of English playwright Colley Cibber (1671 - 1757).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Amanda? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Amanda
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden
- Finnish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Finland
- Chilean Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Chile
- Swiss Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Switzerland (Italian)
- Finnish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Finland, 2010
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden, 2010
- Chilean Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Chile 2010
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden for 2012
- Finnish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Finland for 2012
- Hungarian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Hungary 2010
Contribute your knowledge to the name Amanda
- Comments and insights on the name Amanda: | Edit
In Latin, the passive periphrastic (a future participle), from which the name Amanda is a direct carry-over, almost always has a sense of necessity. The verb it is derived from is amo, meaning love. In this case, the participle is passive. Therefore, the name Amanda actually means something like "she who must be loved."
Female form of the male name Amand as in Saint Amand the patron saint of beer.
- Personal experiences with the name Amanda: | Edit
I named my daughter Amanda and she is now 7. I have no idea how appropriate her name would be. She is a girl who "MUST BE LOVED." She is sugar and spice and all that's nice, but she demands a lot of love and will stop at nothing to get it. Grandpas beware. If you look available and nice my Amanda will approach you for money in a store if I have told her no. My Amanda is never Mandy. Only Manda or Manda Panda.
Hi. My name is Amanda Marie. My mom wanted to name me Meghan but my brother Andrew wanted to name me Amanda since he loved to watch The Amanda Show. I hate being called Mandy but I'm fine with Manda. I have 2 older brothers named Andrew Taylor and Robert (we call him Bobby) Morgan. I think as my job I will be in the K-9 unit
Most every Amanda I have ever met is Amanda Marie. I am Amanda Mary. I too hate to be called Mandy. Mostly I am Manda, but my sister calls me Mando Camando.
My name is Amanda Kathleen. I have always loved my name. Who wouldn't like a name that means lovable? I was named for the Barry Manilow song Mandy, and don't mind the nickname, but I prefer Amanda
- Nicknames for Amanda: | Edit
Mandy, Manda, Mindy, Mena, Manni, Andy, Mandie, Mandi, Ammy, Amie, Mandee, Mander, Maddy, amanda-panda Amy, Manda Panda
- Meanings and history of the name Amanda: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Amanda: | Edit
Amanda Seyfried, American actress
Amanda Bynes, American actress
Amanda Peet, American actress
Amanda Beard, American Olympic swimmer
Amanda Bearse, American actress
Amanda Waldrop, up and coming local to Lincoln County, NC singer and song writer. Found on facebook and Twitter. Writer of poetry, songs, etc. Has a beautiful voice that can sing Gospel, rock, country, pop and hip hop. Sings Patsy Clind, Janis Joplin, Melissa Ethredge, etc covers as good as them theirselves! Awesome at Taylor Swift, etc songs. Also her own.
Amanda Webb, Future Wife to the World Renound W.I.L.L Scientist Justin Webb AKA Stripes, who developed the STRIPES vaccine.
Amanda Arcuri, Canadian actress
- Amanda in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Amanda", a song by Boston
The Amanda, a Norwegian movie award
Amanda, a female immortal on Highlander: The Series
Amanda, character on Buffy the Vampire Slayer
The Amanda Show, a comedy/variety television program
Amanda Young, Jigsaw's apprentice from the Saw series of movies
Amanda Grayson, Spock's mother, character, Star Trek
"Amanda", a song by Waylon Jennings
Amanda Lockhart, from the Kingdom Keeper series by Ridley Pearson
Amanda Lemmon, in the 1995 film "It Takes Two"
Amanda Rollins, detective from Dick Wolfs (Law & Order SVU)
Amanda McKay, character on Nickelodeon's Supah Ninjas
Amanda Benson, character in Nickelodeon's TV movie Swindled
Amanda Hinton, Drake's cousin and Justin Alfred Pennyworth's high school girlfriend in the movie "Where is Like Lemons"