Amanda: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Amanda
Origin of the name Amanda:
Derived from the Latin amanda (lovable, worthy to be loved). Amanda originated as a literary coinage of English playwright Colley Cibber (1671 - 1757).
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Amanda? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Amanda
- Comments and insights on the name Amanda: | Edit
In Latin, the passive periphrastic (a future participle), from which the name Amanda is a direct carry-over, almost always has a sense of necessity. The verb it is derived from is amo, meaning love. In this case, the participle is passive. Therefore, the name Amanda actually means something like "she who must be loved."
Female form of the male name Amand as in Saint Amand the patron saint of beer.
- Personal experiences with the name Amanda: | Edit
Hi. My name is Amanda Marie. My mom wanted to name me Meghan but my brother, Andrew wanted to name me Amanda since he loved to watch The Amanda Show. I hate being called Mandy but I'm fine with Manda. I have 2 older brothers named Andrew Taylor and Robert (we call him Bobby) Morgan. I think as my job I will be in the K-9 unit
- Nicknames for Amanda: | Edit
Mandy, Manda, Mindy, Mena, Manni, Andy, Mandie, Mandi, Ammy, Amie, Mandee, Mander, Maddy, amanda-panda Amy
- Meanings and history of the name Amanda: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Amanda: | Edit
Amanda Seyfried, American actress
Amanda Bynes, American actress
Amanda Peet, American actress
Amanda Beard, American Olympic swimmer
Amanda Bearse, American actress
- Amanda in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Amanda", a song by Boston
The Amanda, a Norwegian movie award
Amanda, a female immortal on Highlander: The Series
Amanda, character on Buffy the Vampire Slayer
The Amanda Show, a comedy/variety television program
Amanda Young, Jigsaw's apprentice from the Saw series of movies
Amanda Grayson, Spock's mother, character, Star Trek
"Amanda", a song by Waylon Jennings
Amanda Lockhart, from the Kingdom Keeper series by Ridley Pearson
Amanda Lemmon, in the 1995 film "It Takes Two"
Amanda Rollins, detective from Dick Wolfs (Law & Order SVU)
Name Lists Featuring Amanda
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden
- Finnish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Finland
- Chilean Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Chile
- Hungarian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Hungary
- Finnish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Finland, 2010
- Swedish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Sweden, 2010