Amaris Name Meaning & Origin
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Amaris? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Amaris
Contribute your knowledge to the name Amaris
- Comments and insights on the name Amaris: | Edit
AMARIS, ARAMIS, MARISA and SAMIRA are anagrams of each other; they contain the same letters.
We pronounce Amaris (uh mare is). Very few pronounce this wrong. Her middle name is Kaitlyn which in the Irish means Purity. So her whole name is focused on God. Amaris Kaitlyn. Promised by God, Purity. The whole name roles off very smoothly. When we named her this is 2003, only .05% of the population had this name. It is slowly increasing. But the trends do not effect me.
I usually just tell people to say it like they want to until they get the hang of it...trust me I will know who you are talking to, lol. I only have two nicknames Am(which I only let people that I can't talk back to call me i.e. Grandparents, etc) and Amay...which my bff's son gave me when he was like 8. Oh, I take that back, my nephew called me Annis forever...that was the best one, cuz sometimes by family still calls me that in his 3 year old sing song voice. I love having a different name, it gets called "beautiful" at least once a month.....but then again I have never been able to find keychains or mugs when I'm on vacation....but I wouldn't have it any other way.
- Personal experiences with the name Amaris: | Edit
We had trouble having a child so when Amaris came along we named her that because it means "promised by God in the Hebrew" which every day her life is a living testimony to our blessings from God. This allows me to have a wonderful conversation when people ask me about her name. It's even more impressive when my daughter explains and knows she is "promised by God". What an encouragement if you want to teach your child they are a blessing. We have some that mispronounce her name but most get the hang of it automatically. We have one friend that named her daughter after Amaris because she went through similar struggles getting pregnant and fell in love with the name. In addition when her brother came along we couldn't name him Billy Bob so we went with Zachariah (Zach for short.) In the Hebrew Zachariah means God Remembers. So if you are looking for close to Bible names but are definitely Hebrew. Amaris and Zachariah go well together. My in-laws put on their license plate. God's Blessings from A to Z!"
My eldest daughter is named 'Amaris' - nothing but positive comments on the name although now and then people do call her 'Aramis' like the aftershave lol
there are too many mispronounciations to even list.
Well, my middle name is Amaris.And I just go be whatever they call it, some interesting ones I have heard are Americus..like that name off of Where the Heart Is.. Cha Cha calls it Ah-MAR-ie...thought that was neat...my sister gave me the name...we go by..Am-air-iss...or Am-ur-is...just depending on how long we want to spend saying it...
- Amaris is my name. No one ever really pronounces it correctly the first time. I mostly get Uh-mar-iss. I simply correct them and say it's pronounced Am-uh-reese (like the candy) Most people get it eventually. I have a teacher though that has pronounced it wrong for an entire year because after a certain point it just feels awkward to correct someone. But I like my name and I haven't had any torment over it
- Nicknames for Amaris: | Edit
- the ones i get are Am, or Ami... like Am then then the long e sound.
- I have always had the nickname Reese because I pronounce it Am-uh-reese
- Sometimes use the nick name "Mary" for short.
- When I was younger, around 5 or 6 my friends would call me Mars and it stuck for a while even though I wasn't a fan. In my teens I've adopted the nickname Amar pronounced as its spelt, I don't mind this one as much but I love that Amaris is hard to shorten so people have to say the whole name!
- Meanings and history of the name Amaris: | Edit
Old Irish for 'Child of the Moon'
Also Hindi with the same meaning...
Amaris means "Promised by God" in the Hebrew.
- Famous real-life people named Amaris: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Amaris in song, story & screen: | Edit
- Share what you know!