Amelia: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Amelia | Girls
Origin of the name Amelia:
An English variant of the Germanic Amalia, which is derived from amal (work). Alternatively, it may be a variant of Emilia (rival).
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Amelia? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Amelia
- Comments and insights on the name Amelia: | Edit
Shakespearean, classic, beauty, sophisticated, and intelligent are words that come to mind when thinking of Amelia
- Personal experiences with the name Amelia: | Edit
My name is Amelia. My mother named me that with the expectation that my nickname would be Amy, but my older brother (who was then 2) had trouble pronouncing Amelia and it came out as 'Mia'. The nickname stuck, and no one ever calls me my full name any more. Just Mia. I was actually quite surprised when Mia became a popular nickname for Amelia, considering I never would have got the nickname if my brother had been able to pronounce Amelia.
As a child Amelia can be known as Mia or Millie, adorable names on there. As an adult the classic name Amelia evokes elegance and sophistication.
I know a little Amelia who goes by Millie :) That's super cute, and a bit more uncommon and fresh than Amy.
My name is Amelia, and I'm loving it!
I know a 4 year old named Amelia. It's a really pretty name, and not too common.
- Nicknames for Amelia: | Edit
Amy, Mia, Mel, Lia, Millie, Mimi, Emmy, Meli, Amey, Ayme
- Meanings and history of the name Amelia: | Edit
Amelia means industrious, hard working.
My mother also thought it was nice because of the word ameliorate from the Latin ad, to, + melior, better.
It is also a medical term meaning congenital absence of one or more limbs from the Greek a-, not, + melos, limb.
- Famous real-life people named Amelia: | Edit
Amelia Earhart - American aviator
Amelia Bloomer - American feminist, popularized "bloomers"
Amelia Heinle Luckinbill - American actress
Amelia Vega - Miss Universe 2003
Amelia Atwater-Rhodes - American author
Hope Amelia Solo - American soccer player
Amelia "Amy" Bruckner - American actress
- Amelia in song, story & screen: | Edit
Princess Amelia (Mia) Thermopolis, The Princess Diaries, storybook & film character
Amelia Bedelia, literally-minded storybook character
Amelia Rules!, comic book
Amelia (2009), film
"Amelia", song by Joni Mitchell
"Amelia", song by Prism
"Amelia", song by the Mission
"Amelia Bright", song by the Ben Folds Five
"Amelia Earhart", song by the Muffins
"Dear Amelia", song by Vance Gilbert
"Waiting for Amelia", Gretchen Peters, song
Amelia Peabody, main character in a series of books by Elizabeth Peters
Amelia Pond, the 11th Doctor's companion in the TV show Doctor Who
Amelia Bones, a character in the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
Name Lists Featuring Amelia
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (New South Wales)
- Australian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Australia (Victoria)
- New Zealand Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in New Zealand
- Irish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Ireland
- English Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in England
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (Quebec)
- Canadian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Canada (British Columbia)
- Polish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Poland
- Scottish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Scotland
Global Popularity of the Name Amelia
- #7 in Poland
- #10 in England
- #11 in Australia (New South Wales)
- #15 in Australia (Victoria)
- #16 in New Zealand
- #20 in Wales
- #40 in Canada (British Columbia)
- #51 in Canada (Alberta)
- #52 in Scotland
- #62 in Canada (Quebec)
- #68 in United States
- #74 in Ireland
- #159 in Norway