Andrea: Meaning, Popularity, Origin of Baby Name Andrea
Origin of the name Andrea:
English feminine form of the Greek Andreas, which is derived from the element andros (man).
Looking for more name information? Get Name MatchMaker & more Expert name-finding tools!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Andrea? What are her siblings named?
Contribute your knowledge to the name Andrea
- Comments and insights on the name Andrea: | Edit
Pronounced: An-dree-ah, Ohn-DRAY-uh and OHN-dree-uh
Andrea is a masculine name in Italy: the Italian version of Andre or Andrew.
- Personal experiences with the name Andrea: | Edit
i dont like or dislike my name. To me it is a very simple name, yet somehow people still seem to get it wrong. I have been called Amanda, audrey, sandra, amber...I used to want to change my name to something else. I guess overall i still dont particularly like it--its not a name i hear and go, oh that's a pretty name....
My name is pronounced Ohn-drea so I always ask how other people pronounce their's. I met a saleslady & asked her she pronounced hers Ann-drea & her twin pronounced hers Ohn-drea. I thought that was a really cute idea!
I don't enjoy having it as my name, because of the 3 pronunciations. I have a strong preference for the one my parents used, AND-ree-ah, but ohn-DRAY-uh and OHN-dree-uh are the ones people in the New York area default to. I've used Andi in my personal life since childhood and still do, but have always used the full name in business. I don't have kids, but if I had, I would have chosen names that don't have alternative spellings the way Catherine/Katherine/Kathryn does and don't have alternative pronunciation.
- Nicknames for Andrea: | Edit
Andi, Andie, Andy, Dre, Drea, Anj, Annie, Ange, Angie, Drew
Onny (for the ahn-dree-a)
Andea (pronounced Ahn-dy)
- Meanings and history of the name Andrea: | Edit
It comes from the Greek word andrós which means "manly".
For a girl's name, some people extrapolate that the meaning is "courageous" or "womanly".
- Famous real-life people named Andrea: | Edit
Andrea Immer, master sommelier (one of only 14 women in the world to have achieved the honor)
Andrea Jaeger, tennis champion
Andrea Martin, actress and comedian
Andrea Zonn, American classical and folk violinist
- Andrea in song, story & screen: | Edit
Andrea Zuckerman, character on "90210"
Andrea Sachs, character in the book and film "The Devil Wears Prada"
Andrea Wilson (pron. OHN-dray-uh), typical "Valley Girl" in the eponymous song by Moon Zappa and her father Frank.
Andrea, daytime soap opera diva character in the late 60's
Name Lists Featuring Andrea
- Danish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Denmark
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain
- Chilean Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Chile
- Danish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Denmark, 2010
- Norwegian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Norway, 2010
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain, 2010