Angel Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Angel:
Derived from the vocabulary word angel (divine messenger, a messenger of God) which has its root in the Greek angelos (messenger). Var: Angela, Angele, Angella, Anngele. Pet: Angie.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Angel? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Angel
Contribute your knowledge to the name Angel
- Comments and insights on the name Angel: | Edit
Angel and Galen are anagrams of each other; they contain the same letters.
- Personal experiences with the name Angel: | Edit
-I would say that I love my name about 80% of the time. It's unique and cute and generally helps with making a good first impression. The other 20% is just annoying. I've been asked numerous times if I've ever been a stripper, or get super lame pickup lines such as:"You look like an Angel", "Did it hurt when you fell from Heaven?", "Where are your wings?"
-The other thing that I've noticed about my name is that whenever I introduce myself as ANGEL, people always have the tendency to lengthen it to "Angela" or "Angelina" even though that's not my name.
-My friend Angel "Angie", is very shy and quiet, but has a sweet and kind personality. The name is just adorable.
- Nicknames for Angel: | Edit
Angie, Ange, Gel,and Annie.
- Meanings and history of the name Angel: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Angel: | Edit
Angel Coulby, British Actress
Angel Parker, American Actress
Angel Iris Murphy Brown (b. 2007), daughter of English singer, songwriter, actress, and television personality Melanie Brown
- Angel in song, story & screen: | Edit
Angel (King of Fighters)
Angel (Lady and the Tramp II)
Angel (Meg series), a fictional shark
Angel (Timely Comics), a Marvel superhero originally appearing in 1939
Angel Salvadore, a recent addition to the X-Men
Warren Worthington III, a founding member of the X-Men, originally known as Angel
Angel, a character in The Big O
Angel, a character in Lilo & Stitch
Angel, a character in Maximum Ride
Angel, a character in Resistance: Fall of Man
Angel, a character in The Rockford Files
Angel, a character in the 1980 film "Little Darlings" played by Kristy McNichol
Avery "Angel" King, a character in Over There
Angel Clare, a character in Tess of the d'Urbervilles
Angel Dumott Schunard, a character in RENT
Hosmer Angel, a character in the Sherlock Holmes story "A Case of Identity"
Angel: Character from "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and later "Angel"