Angela Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Angela:
Latinate form of Angel, a name derived from the vocabulary word angel (divine messenger, a messenger of God) which has its root in the Greek angelos (messenger). Var: Angela, Angele, Angella, Anngele. Pet: Angie.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Angela? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Angela
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain 2014
- Armenian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Armenia, 2010
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain, 2010
- Chilean Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Chile 2010
- Portuguese Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Portugal 2012
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain 2012
- Spanish Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Spain
Contribute your knowledge to the name Angela
- Comments and insights on the name Angela: | Edit
Name of an Angel.
- Personal experiences with the name Angela: | Edit
My name is Angela and I do get called Angel and hear, "You're an angel." I like that, of course. I've always been the only Angela in my class, group, etc. and I like that as well. I've had a couple people assume I'm Latina (which I'm not) but I can live with that.
I chose Angela for my confirmation name. It's very pretty and I like it a lot.
My sister's name is Angela. She's really creative, shy, lazy, bossy and kind.
Sorry to say, but I don't know a sane Angela.
My name is Angela! I'm outgoing and bursting with energy, so I agree that I don't know any sane Angela's. I only encountered another Angela in real life once, when I was in elementary school, so it's safe to say its a fairy unique name. My parents, mostly my mom, called me Ang a lot. I didn't really feel comfortable with other people calling me that. Friends I had sometimes called me Angel, but it didn't catch on. When I was in 5th grade a close friend of mine started me Angie, and I loved it. I was young and I though it sounded cute. When entering sixth grade (middle school) I told everyone to call me Angie, and it stuck. I've gotten to the point where when people call me Angela it sounds a bit unnatural.
My aunt is named Angela, and her nickname will always be Ange. She's beautiful, but a bit of a loud-mouth.
- Nicknames for Angela: | Edit
- Meanings and history of the name Angela: | Edit
Of Greek origin, meaning "Messenger of God".
- Famous real-life people named Angela: | Edit
Angela Kinsey, American actress
Angela Bradburn-Spangler, American high jumper
Angela Lansbury, English actress
Angela Sarafyan, American actress
Angela Davis, American political activist
- Angela in song, story & screen: | Edit
"Angela", song by Jose Feliciano
"Angela", song by No Use For A Name
"Angela", song by Saian Supa Crew
"Angela (Everything Falls Apart)", song by Roses Are Red
"Angela", song by The Bee Gees
"Miss Angela", song by Beenie Man
"All for Angela", song by Forever the Sickest Kids
Angela Bower, main character on "Who's the Boss?"
Angela Chase, the lead character in the sitcom "My So-Called Life".
Angela Hayes, character in "American Beauty".
Angela Martin, character on the American television show "The Office".
Angela Montenegro, character on the hit US television show "Bones".
Angela Petrelli, character on the show "Heroes".
Angela Pleasant, character on the Sims games.
Angela Weber, character in "Twilight" book series
Angela Bennett, in the 1995 film "The Net"