Antonia Name Meaning & Origin
Origin of the name Antonia:
Feminine form of Anthony, a name derived from the old Roman family name Antonius, which is of uncertain origin and meaning. Some believe it to have originally been an Etruscan name.
From A World of Baby Names by Teresa Norman.
Looking for the perfect name? Try the Name MatchMaker to find the perfect baby name for you!
Sister & Brother Names
Know an Antonia? What are her siblings named?
Name Lists Featuring Antonia
- German Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Germany 2014
- Chilean Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Chile 2010
- Austrian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Austria 2012
- Romanian Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Romania 2014
- German Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Germany
- Chilean Girls Names: Most Popular Names for Girls in Chile
Contribute your knowledge to the name Antonia
- Comments and insights on the name Antonia: | Edit
TO ME ANTONIA IS A REALLY COOL NAME.MY GOOD FRIEND IS NAMED ANTONIA
It means priceless or priceless jewel! Love that!
- Personal experiences with the name Antonia: | Edit
My name is Antonia and I absolutely love it, for it comes with a delicate yet strong sound. Also people don't have trouble spelling it. The only problem I have had is that sometimes people write or hear Antonio instead of Antonia.
One of my best friends is called Antonia, we call her Toni for short.
My name is Antonia, I was always called Toni but wished I'd grown up Antonia. In my family they pronounced it An-ta-nia or An-doh-nia because we are Greek. But in school I always had my named mispronounced and sometimes as Antonio, it still happens as an adult sometimes, which is my only complaint a lifetime of correcting and saying just call me Toni. Honestly I do feel it is a beautiful name.
- Nicknames for Antonia: | Edit
Toni, Tonia, Tia, Toña, Annie, Nanna, Nina, Tony, Ann, Anton, Anto, Toñita, Ant, Anna, Ann
- Meanings and history of the name Antonia: | Edit
- Share what you know!
- Famous real-life people named Antonia: | Edit
Antonia Wright, American television personality
Antonia Scarpa, American filmmaker
Antonia Prebble, New Zealand actress
Marie Antoinette’s real name was Maria Antonia
- Antonia in song, story & screen: | Edit
My Antonia (pronounced an-to-NEE-a), novel by Willa Cather.